Processor CPU or graphics card

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Processor CPU or graphics card

Postby erredobble » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:07 am

Hello all. I've searched but not exactly found the answer I need to buy a reasonably priced new PC voor using PMS perfectly with the PS3.

There are two sides:
1. cores, core2duo or quadcore or: does PMS actually use all cores and is it better to buy a quadcore, which is best?
2. is the graphics card important with PMS if yes is it better to have an integrated graphics on the mainboard like with a mediaPC or is a all the processing done on the CPU core(s), which fits best?

Ofcourse I want lagg free HD watching and want to run several programs besides PMS on the pc.

Thanx in advance
erredobble

Re: Processor CPU or graphics card

Postby P_Ford » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:16 am

Since you're in the beginning stages, and looking for something to basically run PS3MediaServer to your PS3... have you considered a Home Server? Something like a HP MediaSmart Homer Server, Tranquil PC, or the acer Aspire Easystore H340. They provide tons of potential storage, are eco friendly with very low power requirements, some models can handle 1080p quite easily and they're designed to run headless (no monitor, mouse or keyboard after setup) in a corner or closet someplace.

Just a thought since you're at the beginning of the process.
P_Ford

Postby erredobble » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:02 am

Yeah I considered it as well as a stand alone streaming media playing device.
But I also want to replace my PC because it is 6 years old and I get frustrated every time I start multiple programms.
The thing is that I do not want another device next to my TV (or near it).

Update.... I just checked the Acer thing and it is quite interesting. Too bad there is no information in this forum concerning that in combination with the PMS software. Or if the support for MKV means that the server will decode and send the right signal to the PS3.
Besides that I am still curious for the answers to the first questions ;-)
erredobble

Postby erredobble » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:09 am

Anyone know an answer to the questions?
erredobble

Postby P_Ford » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:43 am

Why don't you rephrase the question. Describe the specs of the PC you plan on buying or building, and ask if it will work for the formats you plan on streaming. Otherwise, its just a guessing game back and forth.
P_Ford

Return to General Help and Support