Tidying up.

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Tidying up.

Postby pinknoise » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:24 pm

Is there anyway to tidy up the displayed directory tree displayed on the PS3. For instance is there anyway to set transcoding on certain files so my wife can just start it up and watch without having to figure out if a file needs transcoding or not?
pinknoise

Re: Tidying up.

Postby meskibob » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:09 pm

See the "Force transcode of following extensions" setting under the Common Transcode settings.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby pinknoise » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:42 pm

Ahhhh.... Ah!

So basically transcode EVERYTHING. Simples!

Thanks

....any downside to that?
pinknoise

Postby meskibob » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:58 pm

Increased resource usage (both CPU and network) and potential quality degradation based on your quality settings.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby pinknoise » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:08 pm

I want something simple, easy on the eye. Processing power shouldn't be an issue after an upgarde and i'm running a gigabit eithernet.

The only files I have that need transcoding are VC-1 bluray rips.

Pitty that I have to transcode everything because of these.
pinknoise

Postby meskibob » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:18 pm

Well, there's the option to hide the transcode folder (in the latest betas, don't remember when it was added), so if you do that plus the file ext for your vc-1 rips to the "Force transcode" it should be fine. The only thing you're going to miss out on is selecting other audio or subtitle tracks.
meskibob

Postby pinknoise » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:21 pm

Thats fine too. All the rips only have main digital audio stream and no subs. Pitty I can use the transcode engine to convert the VC-1 permanently, its soo efficent and nothing else like it on the web.
pinknoise

Postby pinknoise » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:48 pm

As PMS supports m2ts and mpg I could call all the transcoded ones m2ts and the normal ones mpg.
pinknoise

Return to General Help and Support