Again: The data is corrupted

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Again: The data is corrupted

Postby PGLion » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:27 pm

I have problems running vcd (mpeg1) files on my PS3. I tried all kinds of programs/servers but none seems to work. I suspect a faulty codec or windows setting and tried everything, except a reinstall OS. All other formats works, only the mpeg1 results in the error message "The data is corrupted".

The files I try to play are actually .dat files from a vcd but manually renamed to .mpg. In Windows Vista I can play them without any problem with all kind of programs. Here the properties of such a file:

Video: MPEG1 Video 352x288 (4:3) 25.00fps 1150Kbps [Video]
Audio: MPEG Audio 44100Hz stereo 224Kbps [Audio]

What can I do to solve this?

More info:

1. Intel Core 2 CPU, 6600 2,40 GHz. Memory 4 GB. Windows Vista Ultimate
2. D-Link Router DIR-825. All wired, gigabit network
3. Streaming to PS3
PGLion

Re: Again: The data is corrupted

Postby Dan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:39 am

DAT files are containers, and you need to strip the container off to reveal the true MPG. Renaming DAT to MPG is not the proper way to do it, and therefore shouldn't be expected to work all the time.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Dan

Postby PGLion » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:49 pm

Thanks for your reply. It did work on my xbox360 so for the PS3 I have to strip it off? What software do you recommend?
PGLion

Postby Dan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:12 pm

It's been probably more than 5 years since I had a DAT file that needed converting. I don't know about these days, but back in the day nearly everyone used VCDEasy. As I recall all you had to do was load the DAT file with the browse button, give an output filename, press the convert button and in a short while you had a true MPEG file.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Dan

Return to General Help and Support