Transcoding

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Transcoding

Postby pinknoise » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:51 pm

Hi All.

I've been using PMS for a while now, excellent bit of kit. Works perfectly streaming ripped DVD & BR.

The only thing is I've now set up a server just for media sharing and its not as powerful as my desktop. It is perfectly capable of streaming bluray rips, but not transcoding. Now for the next bit I have searched the forums but there has been no straight answers. Can PMS save a copy of a transcoded file locally on the pc after transcoding. I know there are other programs out there like ribbot etc etc etc, but none of them can encode bluray video and audio like PMS can. PMS can do it real time, most other apps are looking at 12-16 hours. Secondly I know the PS3 can now save a copy of the file, but its next to impossible to actually retrieve that file thanks to the fat 32 4GB limit.

I would like to either just use PMS to some how transcode the file, the send it to my server.

Or what the file while being transcoded by my desktop and possibly save the temp file it creates.

The files that are the problem for me are VC-1 bluray rips. The desktop is a 2.66 c2d, 8gb ram and the server is a 2.66 single core old school p4, 1gb ram.

I appreciate this isn't exactly what PMS was designed to do, but its by far the quickest program I can find to do it. If anyone could even suggest a way of extracting 22gb single file from a ps3 that would solve the problem. Or possibly the creaters enable the software to save a transcoded copy of the file to save wasting resources the next time its played. I dunno.

Any help, any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Sam
pinknoise

Re: Transcoding

Postby pinknoise » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:30 pm

Can PMS stream to WMP11?
pinknoise

Postby otmanix » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:48 pm

WMP11 is streaming server but not a streaming client afaik... so it won't work, use xbmc http://xbmc.org/
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby ExSport » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:58 pm

WMP11 is announcing as renderer but it is not true until Windows 7. In this system WMP is functioning also as renderer...
ExSport

Postby otmanix » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:24 pm

o.k. some new infos for me :)
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Return to General Help and Support