Would buying a PS3 solve my problems?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Would buying a PS3 solve my problems?

Postby Alex » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:58 am

Hi All,

I am strungling to get streaming to work. I currently use PS3 Media Server with my Pioneer PDP-LX5090H TV's build in home media gallery. However everything goes wel with 720p material. When I try to play 1080p stuff I get stuttering image. The best results are when using FFMpeg/Avisyntch transcoding option. I use a wired network Gigabit (however tv is 100Mbit).

My question is would buying a PS3 solve my issues? So basically what I want to know is; If you have a Gigabit LAN and stream using a PS3 in 1080p is that working for you? What is and what is not?

Or should I go for a dedicated streamer like the popcorn hour.

Thanks in advance,

Alex
Alex

Re: Would buying a PS3 solve my problems?

Postby Blade_Beam » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:27 pm

It may be your tv just can't handle the signal. Even if you're network is Gigabit, if you're TV can only accept 10/100 MBps, it won't make a difference, the network speed is limited to the slowest connection. It seems that most 10/100 MBs networks and connections are limited to 720p...mine included...
Blade_Beam

Postby mikeyhughes » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:40 pm

I know this be a bit off before you commit to a £250 buy, would it not be best to try borrow a PS3 for a bit and see if this resolves your issue.
mikeyhughes

Postby Alex » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:04 pm

Yes I will borrow one in a short while from a friend.

But I was curious if some of you had any experience with it.
Alex

Return to General Help and Support