not streaming

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

not streaming

Postby cypherslock » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:13 pm

I've got the most recent version of ps3 media server. I've got my firmware for my ps3 updated and have all the updates for my 32 bit version of Windows Vista (SP2). Everything was good. It was streaming large Xvid of revision3 shows. And then yesterday it stopped. I have installed it as a service and it is running. WMV looks horrible. Quicktime won't stream, but Xvid did, and now doesn't it waits and waits and waits with the bitrate going in the negative before telling me that the data is unsupported. Can someone help?
cypherslock

Re: not streaming

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi cypherslock,

IMO, I wouldn't use PS3MS with Rev3 files. Not only are they always messing with their encoder settings, there is no need. Go over to Rev3 with the PS3 browser, download the 30_FPS MP4 file to the PS3 and watch them directly there. You don't have to (effectively) download the file twice, it has much better picture quality and there is way less hassle.

If you must watch the shows in Xvid format, then sorry, I have no idea.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Dan

Postby cypherslock » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:21 pm

Thanks Dan, I'll give that a try!
cypherslock

Postby cypherslock » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:34 pm

How do I actually save a file like that to the PS3? Every time I hit the link it wants me to insert storage media??
cypherslock

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:49 pm

When you are over at the Rev3 site and the PS3 asks if you want to run the plugin, say no. It doesn't work anyway. That will save a little time. Once you have navigated to a show episode page, placed the cursor over the High Definition (30fps) MP4 episode file link and do the following:

1. Press Triangle button.
2. Go to File-> Save Target.
3. Choose where you want to save the file (eg: Hard Disk [Video]).
4. Click the "Download in Background" button.

This will place you back on the Rev3 site, with the download taking place in the background and allowing you to queue up other episodes for download. Just repeat the above until you have all the episodes you want queued and close the browser. As soon as the first download completes you can start watching it while the others continue to download in the background. You can check the download status from the XMB under "Network" and then in "Download Management". Also, you'll get a little pop-up in the upper right-hand corner letting you know which download completed.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
Dan

Postby cypherslock » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:28 am

It won't give me the option, automatically wants me to insert storage media??
cypherslock

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:03 pm

cypherslock wrote:It won't give me the option, automatically wants me to insert storage media??

That sounds to me like you may have highlighted the wrong link when you hit the triangle button. Perhaps you were on the show page highlighting the RSS link, and not on the actual episode page?
Dan

Return to General Help and Support