Thumbnail generation support

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Thumbnail generation support

Postby stickboy3k » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:51 pm

Working great, just kinda of small. Looks like thumbnails are 'bigger" if they're landscape.. maybe I'll use fanart from themoviedb.org instead of movie posters..
stickboy3k

Re: Thumbnail generation support for music files

Postby rickster53 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:11 pm

I have ripped my CD library to lossless .wma format and am able to stream all of that content fine with both the PS3 Media Server and Tversity. But for some reason, Tversity displays music thumbnails at the song level but the PS3 Media server does not. Both media servers are using the same source for the content "My Music" folder. I am able to get video thumbnails to display by dropping DVD cover art with the appropriate naming convention into the folder as described earlier in this thread... so I know that the PS3 Media Server is generating thumbnails. I even tried to see if I could "force" music thumbnail generation by correctly naming and putting a jpeg file in the album folder but had no luck. Am I doing something wrong or is the PS3 media server not capable of generating thumbnails for Music?
rickster53

Re: Thumbnail generation support for music files

Postby shagrath » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:40 pm

rickster53 wrote:I have ripped my CD library to lossless .wma format and am able to stream all of that content fine with both the PS3 Media Server and Tversity. But for some reason, Tversity displays music thumbnails at the song level but the PS3 Media server does not. Both media servers are using the same source for the content "My Music" folder. I am able to get video thumbnails to display by dropping DVD cover art with the appropriate naming convention into the folder as described earlier in this thread... so I know that the PS3 Media Server is generating thumbnails. I even tried to see if I could "force" music thumbnail generation by correctly naming and putting a jpeg file in the album folder but had no luck. Am I doing something wrong or is the PS3 media server not capable of generating thumbnails for Music?

it supports album art but I read somewhere there could be a bug with wma cover art detection.. maybe next version should perform better as I updated the audio application library
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby UrbanCoyote » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:12 am

Sorry for the repeat question, but is it possible to cache the album art so it doesn't load all the time?
UrbanCoyote

Postby shagrath » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:12 pm

UrbanCoyote wrote:Sorry for the repeat question, but is it possible to cache the album art so it doesn't load all the time?

no, that's the ps3 who asking them over and over and do not cache them, cause it only have 256Mb ram
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby BeniciaHD » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:35 am

Is there any way to change the thumb size, so you can see the art?
BeniciaHD

Postby rickster53 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:09 pm

Scrolling thru a folder of video files is painfully slow. It appears as though PSM sends 5 filenames at a time along with the thumbnails. While those are being generated on my PS3 I can not scroll down further. Once the 5 filenames have displayed with their thumbnails then I can scroll down and 5 more will appear. I believe the delay is caused by the time needed to generate the thumbnails. In my case, I am suspect that my P4 2.0Ghz CPU does not have the necessary performance although I have no problems streaming music and 1080p video files that have been converted to mp4. I am on a wired network connection. Is anyone else experiencing this problem or is my PC just too slow generating the thumbnails?
rickster53

Postby shagrath » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:21 pm

rickster53 wrote:Scrolling thru a folder of video files is painfully slow. It appears as though PSM sends 5 filenames at a time along with the thumbnails. While those are being generated on my PS3 I can not scroll down further. Once the 5 filenames have displayed with their thumbnails then I can scroll down and 5 more will appear. I believe the delay is caused by the time needed to generate the thumbnails. In my case, I am suspect that my P4 2.0Ghz CPU does not have the necessary performance although I have no problems streaming music and 1080p video files that have been converted to mp4. I am on a wired network connection. Is anyone else experiencing this problem or is my PC just too slow generating the thumbnails?

you just have to enable the media library (no need to scan)... this thumbnail generation delay will only occurs once for all
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby picchio_75 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:18 pm

does anyone know if folder.png is not support ?
Thanks
picchio_75

Postby rickster53 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:00 pm

shagrath wrote:you just have to enable the media library (no need to scan)... this thumbnail generation delay will only occurs once for all

Enabling the Media Library improved the speed of scrolling up and down my MY VIDEO folder---thank you. However, thumbnail generation still lags badly. Let me explain... If I open MY VIDEO, it displays the first 5 files and their thumbnails slowly begin to refresh one at a time. I can now scroll all the way to the bottom of my list and see the last 5 files in the folder. That performance is now excellent! However, I now have to wait for the bottom 5 thumbnails to refresh which is painfully slow even on my wired connection. Then if I scroll back to the top again, it has to refresh/regenrate those same thumbnails over again. So apparently the thumbnail generation is dynamic all the time and not a one time generation and cache. I asume this is a combination of the PS3 not caching the thumbnails and my P4 PC's inability to regenerate them quickly. Is that the case? Note: My video thumbnail files are approximately 80KB each.

On a separate but related note, scrolling thru the "Media Library # /All Videos folder also has excellent performance scrolling up and down but will not display the custom jpg thumbnails. Instead it displays the default PMS triangle icon for each file. While enabling the Media Library has improved my performance the corresponding folder that appears on the PS3 does nothing for me, and I'n not sure why it's even there? ... Please let me know if there is anything else I could do to improve my thumbnail performance, other than upgrade my CPU ;) . I also eagerly wait to see if the next release will generate thumbnails for my wma music files/folders. Thanks in advance for your assistance!
rickster53

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support