Final Cut Pro->Compressor->TSMuxer Chapters & PS3 Streaming?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Final Cut Pro->Compressor->TSMuxer Chapters & PS3 Streaming?

Postby flexoffset » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:18 pm

I am using Final Cut Pro 7 and Compressor's new Blu-Ray export features to prepare HD video to stream .M2TS files to my PS3 via PS3 Media Server v1.10.5.
I create the chapter markers in Final Cut Pro, then export through Compressor.

This creates two separate files of course - an .H264 and an .AC3 so I use TSMuxer to mux them together as an .M2TS file.
I have noticed that TSMuxer opens the video with a default setting of a chapter every 5 minutes. I change the radio button to custom chapters and input manual chapter times based on timecode numbers from FCP7 and then I mux the file.

When I stream to the PS3, the chapters are not showing up. Neither the default chapter marks nor the custom marks seem to be recognized by PS3 Media Server.

Question: Does PS3 Media Server currently ignore chapter marks? Is there a way to direct it to a location where it will look for chapter mark text file and apply to the video?
Question: Should I create separate M2TS files for each clip, then create a Playlist like you see on Blu-Rays? Any ideas how to create a Playlist file that works?

many thanks
flexoffset

Re: Final Cut Pro->Compressor->TSMuxer Chapters & PS3 Streaming?

Postby meskibob » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:56 pm

flexoffset wrote:Question: Does PS3 Media Server currently ignore chapter marks? Is there a way to direct it to a location where it will look for chapter mark text file and apply to the video?
IIRC the PS3 doesn't have chapter support for DLNA media. There is a preliminary "chapter support" workaround in some of the recent PMS betas, although I believe it's time based, not from chapter markers.
flexoffset wrote:Question: Should I create separate M2TS files for each clip, then create a Playlist like you see on Blu-Rays? Any ideas how to create a Playlist file that works?
You could create a playlist but it's not going to be like the Bluray/DVD menus. You should just have to create a valid M3U or PLS file.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby flexoffset » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:40 pm

Thanks for the info. Time based is fine. What keywords would you recommend for a search to find that sort of thing? "Chapter" didn't yield much.
flexoffset

Postby meskibob » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:52 pm

flexoffset wrote:What keywords would you recommend for a search to find that sort of thing? "Chapter" didn't yield much.
"Chapters" seemed to work: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3217&p=13908&hilit=chapters#p13908
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support