Home Sever for PS3

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Home Sever for PS3

Postby pup99 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:28 pm

muchgooder.com wrote:The storage component of this equation is the easy part. If you want to stream HD video you will need a fairly beefy pc/laptop. In general, you would need a quad core cpu and probably two or three gigabytes of RAM. You should be able to see these characteristics in any pc that you might buy.

It sounds like you are struggling with the basics here. I recommend that you not worry about streaming HD video right now and instead learn how to stream music and non-hd video using simple programs like WMP or Orb.

Hmm, the quality of information in these threads seems to be dropping very rapidly, and it seems you too are confusing things and struggling with the BASICS here muchgooder, and so your passing that bad information on to other new people....

"In general, you would need a quad core cpu and probably two or three gigabytes of RAM"
totally wrong there, you DO NOT NEED anything of the sort FOR Audio/Video (SD/HD upto 1080p+) streaming.

ONLY IF you also WANT TO TRANSCODE or change in some way the said A/V +container content from one form to another on the fly in "Near Realtime" for playback on a device that wont take the originals stored Encode and bitrate etc and play it directly.

to be clear, if your content is AVC/AAC 9Mbit/s ,ref=3,H@L4.0 inside a mp4 container and your client device can play this directly,
then all your Home storage Server need do is push or allow pulling of said content at that 9Mbit/s data rate, NO Transcoding required,
or any other CPU/ram, or even ethernet intensive processing required.

a simple spare PC of any vintage within reason, a few HDs raided and or ISCSI connected (a very good thing) if you like, and a copy of FreeNAS Network Attached Storage application with its built in UPnP is probably all you might need if you already have all your content in direcly playable format for the client app .
http://www.freenas.org/
http://www.freenaskb.info/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=135

its unclear if the PS3 will work here without other releated freenas apps being installed, you will have to actually try it with the FreeNAS VMware Images and a virtualbox install or something for real and report back perhaps, but it does have generic 360 and DLNA profiles so its reasonable to assume it will work fine for directly playable files.
http://www.freenaskb.info/kb/?View=entry&EntryID=158

and BTW , hussainwadiwalla if your going to ask about a given bit of kit such as this SQA-5H Home Server you ask about , its good practice and manors to at least do some work and put up at least a direct URL so we dont have to ...http://www.tranquilpc-shop.co.uk/acatalog/SQA-5H.html
pup99

Postby muchgooder.com » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:00 am

pup99 wrote:Hmm, the quality of information in these threads seems to be dropping very rapidly, and it seems you too are confusing things and struggling with the BASICS here muchgooder, and so your passing that bad information on to other new people....

ONLY IF you also WANT TO TRANSCODE or change in some way the said A/V +container content from one form to another on the fly in "Near Realtime" for playback on a device that wont take the originals stored Encode and bitrate etc and play it directly.

Wow - a little bit condescending? Did you read the rest of the thread? I spoke in extremely general terms (the original question was very general) and asked the OP for more information. You are correct when you say that non-transcoded video is not dependent on the CPU. However, that does not remove the network part of the equation.
I still stand by what I said - I suggested that the OP do some more homework by reading through this thread and starting small. I did NOT advocate that the OP rush out and buy a new box. Please do not put words in my mouth. After all, you recommended pretty much the same thing - try it before you do anything.
muchgooder.com

Postby Flukester » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:54 am

If you're going to stream very good quality video you aren't going to do it wireless. 54mb/s vs 108+mb/s. If you don't get 100% signal strength to ps3 you aren't going to have seamless anything it'll be all choppy.
Flukester

Postby hussainwadiwalla » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:08 am

My laptop connects at 54 mbps, and likewise for the router speed. Following are the specs of the WHS I am looking to buy:

--64 bit ready Intel Atom 330 (2x1.6GHz) Dual Core
-- 1x DDR2 533/667MHz (up to 2GB)

As for not putting up the website, I was not aware of the practice my bad. It would be better to learn of each other, rather than attack each other.
hussainwadiwalla

Postby muchgooder.com » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:17 pm

hussainwadiwalla wrote:My laptop connects at 54 mbps, and likewise for the router speed. Following are the specs of the WHS I am looking to buy:

--64 bit ready Intel Atom 330 (2x1.6GHz) Dual Core
-- 1x DDR2 533/667MHz (up to 2GB)

As for not putting up the website, I was not aware of the practice my bad. It would be better to learn of each other, rather than attack each other.

Yes, and that is why I wasn't thrilled with Pup's criticism of my attempt to help you. He made an important clarification of what I said about transcoding vs. not transcoding. That is a whole different topic in itself. If you want to seek out video that is compatible with your ps3 and home theater, the machine that you reference will handle that. You may very well have a problem transcoding with that pc. Either way, as flukester said, wireless can easily cause issues.
muchgooder.com

Previous

Return to General Help and Support