Home Sever for PS3

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Home Sever for PS3

Postby hussainwadiwalla » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:18 am

Hi to all,

This is my first post, hopefully this wont be too complicated. I am looking to buy a Windows Home Server in order to stream Videos/Music to the PS3, especially High-def.

I want to get an opinion on whether or not Tranquil PC SQA-5H Home Server can do the job? Hopefully the streaming can be at a good rate over the Wi-fi connection?

Thanks.
hussainwadiwalla

Re: Home Sever for PS3

Postby muchgooder.com » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:32 pm

This box looks to be more of a high-capacity, low-energy unit. Based on your post it sounds like you plan on having this box next to your home theater so that you don't have to stream over a wireless network? Either way, I don't see this box as being able to stream HD video. You would need at least a dual core to stream HD (my dual core didn't cut it so I had to go out and get a quad core cpu).
muchgooder.com

Postby hussainwadiwalla » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:28 pm

Thanks for your reply, is there similar Windows Home Server you would recommend? or maybe, I can buy the server mentioned take the files that i want to watch onto my laptop and stream them using WMP 11. Does that sound feasable? and will the stream quality be any good?
hussainwadiwalla

Postby muchgooder.com » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:01 pm

Can you give me a better idea of your setup? You seemed to indicate that you wouldn't be wireless anymore. Is that because you plan on putting the box next to your theater?

When trying to stream HD video, there are two general rules
1) Quad core
2) Cat5e or better networking

Some people have been able to stream with dual core or cat5 but if you look through the posts here you'll see a lot of people that can not.

You don't necessarily have to have something that is classified as a "home media server". Here is my setup: http://www.muchgooder.com/mediaserver
muchgooder.com

Postby hussainwadiwalla » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:51 am

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

1.Can you give me a better idea of your setup? You seemed to indicate that you wouldn't be wireless anymore. Is that because you plan on putting the box next to your theater?

I am looking to have a server as a central storage area for streaming media wirelessly.

2. When trying to stream HD video, there are two general rules
1) Quad core
2) Cat5e or better networking

I am not great with knowing my hardware, but why are the above to better? Not sure what to buy. I had a look at your setup sounds good. Not sure how can I would be able to connect from PS3 > Server. What do you think of the sugesstion made for the Tranquil > Laptop > PS3?

Your help is very much appreciated, thanks.
hussainwadiwalla

Postby muchgooder.com » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:50 pm

The storage component of this equation is the easy part. If you want to stream HD video you will need a fairly beefy pc/laptop. In general, you would need a quad core cpu and probably two or three gigabytes of RAM. You should be able to see these characteristics in any pc that you might buy.

It sounds like you are struggling with the basics here. I recommend that you not worry about streaming HD video right now and instead learn how to stream music and non-hd video using simple programs like WMP or Orb.
muchgooder.com

Postby hussainwadiwalla » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:50 pm

Hi,

I have used WMP for streaming music/SD video to my PS3, its just I am looking to buy a server so that it can contain all my DVDs digitally. So not sure how streaming works with a server > ps3. I know how to stream from laptop > ps3 no problems. I am just confused about how should i set this up/the capabilities of the server for streaming.
hussainwadiwalla

Postby muchgooder.com » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:02 pm

Is your laptop also wireless? If so you can *probably* stream non-HD video from your laptop (depending on the speed of both your laptop and and your wireless connection) but this is not definite. You will almost certainly not be able to stream HD video. To do that, you will need to purchase a pc with the specs mentioned earlier (including a wired connection).
muchgooder.com

Postby hussainwadiwalla » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:18 pm

Is your laptop also wireless? If so you can *probably* stream non-HD video from your laptop (depending on the speed of both your laptop and and your wireless connection) but this is not definite. You will almost certainly not be able to stream HD video. To do that, you will need to purchase a pc with the specs mentioned earlier (including a wired connection).

Yes. I was able to stream non-HD video fine, but I see your point. How much of difference does whether the connection is wired or wireless? I need some advice mainly at getting a home server, it would be better if I had a server that can stream to the PS3. But I don't mind If I had to transfer it to the laptop/PC with good specs to the PS3. P

Thanks.
hussainwadiwalla

Postby muchgooder.com » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:37 pm

The balance between the power of the pc and the quality of your connection is a tricky one. I am not a networking expert but from what I have read it is doubtful that you could stream top-quality HD to your ps3 over a wireless connection. I know that some people in here say they can do it using a wireless N connection. But if you read through this forum you will see the issues that many people have when trying to stream with a wireless connection. My guess is that you would almost certainly need an "N" connection. Also, I would assume that you're facing a second issue in that both your ps3 and your laptop connections are wireless. That is two hops and I would assume that fact is going to hurt you. You may want to plug your laptop into your router and give it a try. You never know, it may work. What speed is your wireless router? What speed can your laptop connect at?

I know that I am speaking in very general terms but every setup (and video) is different. What I do know is that I was not able to stream my videos on the high-quality settings until I upgraded to a quad core cpu and streamed it over a wired connection (cat6).
muchgooder.com

Next

Return to General Help and Support