Maximum Bandwidth Not Working

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Maximum Bandwidth Not Working

Postby arias » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been using PS3 Media server for last couple of months but can't seem to stream .mkv files properly.

I'm running an Intel E8500 overclocked @ 4Ghz, 4GB of RAM and currently running Windows Vista 64bit. My computer has a 100-base TX cable running to a switch, then from the switch another cable going to my router, from the router it transmits wirelessly to the PS3 and other hosts on the network. For some odd reason, after I've set the Maximum bandwidth to 4Mb I'm getting stuttering at times. I've turned on the info screen during the video feed and it shows my throughput being at 9/10Mb at times when it's set to 4Mb. I'm betting that it's spiking past 15Mb and it's not displaying it because the PS3 stutters and doesn't register the number fast enough for me to see. I've searched on the forums for this issue and it seems like no one is having trouble with it as it's a recommended thing to do for everyone. I'm really hoping someone can help me with this because it's going to be a few months before I'll be getting a TV in a room that I'll be able to feed more cat5 to.
arias

Re: Maximum Bandwidth Not Working

Postby LiquidCooled » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:00 pm

This problem crops up a lot with trying to stream mkv files wirelessly. PMS has to transcode/remux the file so that the PS3 can play it as it does not support mkv files. As soon as you have to do that you will see the buffer on PMS filling up, well you should with 4Ghz to play with. The wifi part of your network is now a bottle neck, it will not be able to transmit the dta fast enough to prevent stuttering, the transcoded data is uncompressed, an mp4 stream which the PS3 does support, is streamed compressed so uses far less bandwidth. You can try and adjust some of the Transcode Settings, Common Transcode Settings by adjusting the maximum bandwidth setting, reducing to 15 and lower if you need to and by changing the MPEG2 Video Quality settings to keyint=25:vqmax=5:vqmin=2. This seems to work kinda well.
LiquidCooled

Postby arias » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:57 pm

I'll give it a shot. Thanks, bud.
arias

Postby Flukester » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:20 am

I solved the problem by hooking up mine via a 100ft cable. Streaming and response time are a lot better now. PS3 is not Wireless N. 802.11n will bring you approx 108Mb which is comparable with wired networks but PS3 can only do 53Mb 'max'. If you are streaming 30~40+Mb the PS3 seems to stutter with any software. What ticks me off now is that the Ethernet light is on only in the back and not the front. :roll:
Flukester

Postby arias » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:11 am

Yeah, even after setting my transcoding to keyint=25:vqmax=5:vqmin=2, it still seems as though throughput is being shot over top of the bandwidth, which is set at 5Mb. I really don't understand this...Maximum bandwidth being set at 5Mbps should mean that I don't see 11Mbps bitrate on the PS3. The funny thing is, my audio is set to 128kbps and it works perfectly fine.

I plan on waiting for the CAT5 hook-up, but I'd really like for this to work as another computer in the home which will be staying on WiFi needs to have a working setup.
arias

Postby Flukester » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:38 am

I don't get why you are trying to cap bandwidth like that. The router should have traffic management. I do a lot of wireless here and I can cruise net from any machine in house with zero impact. I also have 2 pc's wired. I don't even truly believe there is a means to cap it on video's. Can you not set the PS3 itself to a lesser bandwidth?
Flukester

Postby arias » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:21 pm

Well the reason I'm trying to cap the bandwidth is because the video bitrate goes above 802.11g (ie. wireless-g) bandwidth limit. I see spikes from 1Mb-40Mb when the max bandwidth is set to 5Mbps.

I'm under the impression that max bandwidth will degrade the quality of the video when it exceeds the number which is set. The setting underneath Maximum Bandwidth is used alternatively (why?, I'm unsure). I haven't seen a guide, even after searching, where it has explanations as to what each function is for so after observing other people's settings and the pre-set values in the drop-down menus I changed my keyint=15:vqmax=5:vqmin=2 and I'm still having stuttering issues on the majority of .mkv files (none of which are 1080p, of course).

Could someone please clear this up for me?
arias

Return to General Help and Support