Can't transcode after CPU upgrade

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Can't transcode after CPU upgrade

Postby muchgooder.com » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:27 pm

I recently upgraded my dual core cpu to a quad core. I had been able to play movies through this media server before but there was a fair amount of stuttering if I had to transcode (movies that didn't need to be transcoded played flawlessly).

The upgrade went fine and both windows and PS3 MS see the new CPU. However, most of the time I am having no luck when trying to stream a movie. The buffer tries to load but it never gets to a point where it is playable. I've found that if I knock the settings down to the lowest quality video and audio it will play. I usually ran it with "advanced core support" unchecked but I did try checking it as well.

For example, I took the m2ts file of the first Pirates of the Carribbean. I could *kinda* watch it with the old cpu (transcoded) but it won't load at all unless I knock the quality way down and uncheck just about all of the options. The cpu usually runs from 60% to 75% when transcoding. I can play the movie just fine when not transcoding but I'm using it as a comparison as I was able to play it with the other cpu. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software - same results. Does anyone have any ideas? I don't think it is my ps3 as I can still *kinda* play transcoded movies from my desktop pc even though it is only a dual core with half of the memory that my server has. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Here is my setup:
Windows server 2008 standard
Dell Poweredge sc440 server
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6700 2.66GHz 1066MHz 8MB LGA775 EM64T CPU
4 Gig Ram
1 TB SATA video drive (separate from OS drive)
Cat6 network from server to gigabit netgear router, cat6 from router to Ps3
muchgooder.com

Re: Can't transcode after CPU upgrade

Postby muchgooder.com » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:44 am

I think I see where the issue is - the user (as a developer I should have suspected this first). I've spent many hours reading through this site and various other guides but I am afraid that my knowledge apparently isn't where it needs to be.

After playing in the transcoding menu for a while longer I saw that some of the menu selections did work. For example, in Pirates 1 the "AC3 TSmuxer" option played flawlessly, even on the absolute highest settings. Other movies played fine using some menu options but not in others.

So I guess at this stage I need to do some more learning. I read a fantastic guide on setting up the ps3 for audio and video and I believe I have the right settings for my Denon (LPCM turned on, use hdmi, etc). I think I understand the different audio types. I guess at this point I need to learn how all of this plays together in the media server. Is there a more advanced guide for this kind of stuff?

A separate question: in the transcode menu, how come some menu options will show the main movie as Mpeg2 while others will show it as AVC?

Thank you in advance. I swear that I did a ton of reading before coming here!
muchgooder.com

Postby LiquidCooled » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:03 pm

muchgooder.com wrote:A separate question: in the transcode menu, how come some menu options will show the main movie as Mpeg2 while others will show it as AVC?

I think that it depends upon which transcode engine is being used.
LiquidCooled

Postby marco275 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:16 pm

muchgooder.com wrote: A separate question: in the transcode menu, how come some menu options will show the main movie as Mpeg2 while others will show it as AVC?

Thank you in advance. I swear that I did a ton of reading before coming here!

I've noticed that 1080P MKV's transcoded to AVC (Advanced video codec) play flawlesly but 1080P files transcoded to MPEG are ginving problems such as no sound or no picture and if i do have both i got stuttering.
So i think AVC is the preferred codec to use.
marco275

Return to General Help and Support