Problems with streaming mkv files (buffering occurs)

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Problems with streaming mkv files (buffering occurs)

Postby panoramix » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:08 pm

Hi,

I have recently setup the latest version of PS3 media server on both my desktop and laptop. My desktop runs Win 7 Ultimate and my laptop Vista Ultimate.

I have a problem when streaming mkv files from both computers to the PS3. There is always lots of buffering and glitches. Please note that I haven't tampered with any of the options of the media server. The streaming is done via wifi. I have the latest klite mega codec pack installed on both computers.

When I stream other video files there is no problem whatsoever. Still, when streaming mkv there is...

I tried streaming muxed mkv files, problem still there. I also tried disabling from the options of media server the subs and the buffering continues.

I did notice though that the buffer status bar gets full when streaming mkv files but this should be normal, right?

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions here? Please do let me know what extra info you might need to help me solve this problem.

Cheers
panoramix

Re: Problems with streaming mkv files (buffering occurs)

Postby meskibob » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:22 pm

panoramix wrote:Please note that I haven't tampered with any of the options of the media server. The streaming is done via wifi.
Specify a Maximum Bandwidth under the Common Transcode settings (start with 15mbps for wifi). If that doesn't help start reducing the Video Quality settings as well.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby panoramix » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:45 pm

I tried your suggestion of 15mbps as limit. I also increased the buffer size to the max (600 megs) but still the same :(
panoramix

Postby meskibob » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:55 pm

panoramix wrote:I tried your suggestion of 15mbps as limit. I also increased the buffer size to the max (600 megs) but still the same :(

Is it completely wifi or is one of the devices wired to the router? If it's the former, drop it down to 8mbps or so. Also, did you reduce the quality settings?
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby panoramix » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:40 pm

It is completely wifi; I switched it to 8 mbps but still the same. I pause the movie to decrease the buffer and plays fine for a while but then it starts again:(

I reduced the quality settings to medium quality for HD wifi transcoding but again no luck...
panoramix

Postby LiquidCooled » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:45 pm

Try running your mkv file through mkv2vob and have it set output file extension to mp4. That should mean that your file does not have to be transcoded so buffer ceases to be an issue. Using wifi for streaming transcoded HD seems to be extremely unreliable so remove the need.
LiquidCooled

Postby panoramix » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:13 pm

Thanx for the advice mate but the whole point is being able to stream a mkv file without having to process it first. If I have to process all mkv files I want to stream then what's the point of using this software anyway?
panoramix

Postby LiquidCooled » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:44 pm

I fully realise your point, you have files you want to play without doing anything to them, but your network can't cope as wifi is generally insufficient for what you want. So if you don't want to have to change the files and you can't adjust the settings to stop the stuttering, coupled with the fact that the buffer is filling up, which means the network isn't allowing transmission of the data fast enough, as I understand it your only other option is to run some ethernet cable. The software isn't at fault.
You have to process an mkv first before streaming to PS3 as PS3 does not support the mkv container, all PMS is doing the processing for you, unfortunately that allows for the wifi problem.
LiquidCooled

Postby panoramix » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:09 pm

Fair enough; I do understand your point as well. The thing is that my best mate who showed me this software can stream effortlessly mkv to his PS3 using PMS. The irony is that the hardward he uses (meaning his router and PC setup) is of lower specs than mine and that's why I can't believe that I can't do it....

He hasn't changed any of the settings either to his PMS configuration and the streaming is being conducted purely on wifi, no ethernet connection is involved...
panoramix

Postby LiquidCooled » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:40 pm

panoramix wrote:Fair enough; I do understand your point as well. The thing is that my best mate who showed me this software can stream effortlessly mkv to his PS3 using PMS. The irony is that the hardward he uses (meaning his router and PC setup) is of lower specs than mine and that's why I can't believe that I can't do it....

He hasn't changed any of the settings either to his PMS configuration and the streaming is being conducted purely on wifi, no ethernet connection is involved...

Other reasons that may mean his are working, range between PC, router and PS3, are they line of sight? If not how many walls are between, are they stud or solid or have they foil lined insulation, do you have a large fishtank in between, (honestly that is not a silly question, wifi won't work through them hardly at all. I solved a problem for my in-laws by moving his router so that it wasn't transmitting through his fishtank), microwave oven, DECT cordless phone to name some sources of interference. Even the quality of his wireless router, you may both have g rated routers but some are better than others by using MIMO type attenae. And not forgetting the mkv file itself, what type of video is contained within? In my opinion PMS is still a superb piece of software that works well but it sounds like your difficulty lies elsewhere and PMS and mkv file is simply highlighting a limitation elsewhere.
LiquidCooled

Next

Return to General Help and Support