How to get best possible picture quality

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: How to get best possible picture quality

Postby zixer » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:48 pm

may i ask for your computer specs and internet connection ?

Since im upgrading my computer in a couple of days so i can watch the movies in perfect quality.
zixer

Postby meskibob » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:17 pm

From the readme (this is Shagrath's CPU):
A core 2 duo CPU (mine is a E6750, 2.66GHz) for smooth 1080p transcoding, but 720p seems to be transcodable with a good P4 :p

This is with a gigabit LAN.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Heathcliff » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:49 pm

meskibob wrote:From my understanding the video quality is pretty much all handled through the keyint, vqscale, and vqmin parameters. The max bandwidth setting is there to limit the output bitrate, not the video quality (not really a direct relationship in this case).

These parameters do indeed control the video-quality and in effect they also control the bitrate. But if you limit the bitrate to a certain maximum value (vrc_maxrate) the video-rate-control (vrc) of the encoder will keep an eye on the bitrate for each given buffersize (vrc_buf_size). If it exceeds the maximum, the encoder will use a technique called "Adaptive quantization" (or also called "Masking") to increase the quantization-level for that part of video, by removing data from the higher quantization-levels (removing details), which reduces it until the desired bitrate is reached. Real-time encoding uses only 1 pass. For 1 pass encoding, I believe the bitrate control is done by applying the given vqscale on the keyframes and deviate that value for the p-frames. I could be wrong, but I think this is the way the encoder adapts the quality of the video to the available bandwidth. For 100 Mbit/s this is almost not noticable anymore, except that it should not stutter anymore when the max bandwidth is set to the max available network-bandwidth.
Heathcliff

Postby zixer » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:01 am

gigabit lan ? you mean like a connection could be 10mbit Down/1mbit UP. So this is maybe 1Gbit down ? or ? Im not that into it :)
zixer

Postby muchgooder.com » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:50 pm

zixer wrote:gigabit lan ? you mean like a connection could be 10mbit Down/1mbit UP. So this is maybe 1Gbit down ? or ? Im not that into it :)

Much more than that. A gigabit lan is 1000 mbits down and one1000 mbits up. You'll use only part of that but the pipe is much wider and thus you're far less likely to get a bottleneck at the network level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabit_Ethernet
muchgooder.com

Postby meskibob » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:45 pm

zixer wrote:you mean like a connection could be 10mbit Down/1mbit UP
You're thinking of the WAN bandwidth provided by your ISP, which has nothing to do with LAN capabilities of your private network and communication between devices on your network.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Previous

Return to General Help and Support