bandwith limit issues Xbox360

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

bandwith limit issues Xbox360

Postby mrfisz » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:31 am

First of all thanks for fixing a/v sync problem on xbox360.

1. How does bandwith limit work? Default limit for xbox is 30Mbits/s (set in conf file) ive changed it to 0 and im using bandwith limit field in GUI. It seems to be working but only for values under 30 mbits/s when i set it to more than 30 mbits/s, current bitrate doesnt exceed those 30 mbits/s.

2. What is the impact of the bitrate limit field on the quality? My guess is that it has nothing to do with it. So basicaly if max bitrate is 30mbits/s the quality is same as when bandwith is not limited. And thats why cpu has more work. Am I correct?

3. Why when i put new file in shared folder its not visible in xbox360 ? I need to restart ps3 media server to see it? Is it xbox limitation (no refresh)?
Last edited by mrfisz on Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrfisz

Re: bandwith limit issues

Postby LiquidCooled » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:00 am

mrfisz wrote:First of all thanks for fixing a/v sync problem on xbox360.

1. How does bandwith limit work? Default limit for xbox is 30Mbits/s (set in conf file) ive changed it to 0 and im using bandwith limit field in GUI. It seems to be working but only for values under 30 mbits/s when i set it to more than 30 mbits/s, current bitrate doesnt exceed those 30 mbits/s.

My understanding is that the bandwidth limit tells PMS what maximum bandwidth it is allowed to create for your network to stream successfully, nothing to do with the 30Mbits/s limit in conf file.

2. What is the impact of the bitrate limit field on the quality? My guess is that it has nothing to do with it. So basicaly if max bitrate is 30mbits/s the quality is same as when bandwith is not limited. And thats why cpu has more work. Am I correct?

The lower the bandwidth limit is set the more work your cpu has to do to maintain quality, note the drop down box below the bandwidth setting, these settings will adjust the quality of the transcoded file being streamed and are intended to help achieve a workable balance between your networks capability and your cpu capability

3. Why when i put new file in shared folder its not visible in xbox360 ? I need to restart ps3 media server to see it? Is it xbox limitation (no refresh)?

You do not need to restart PMS every time you add a new file. If you have the folders you want browsed added under shared folders, "Enable media library/cache" ticked and clicked the magnifying glass icon you should be fine. The last part is what tells PMS to actually scan the folders. Beyond that PMS automatically refreshs folders.
LiquidCooled

Postby LiquidCooled » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:01 am

Apologies mrfisz, it appears I goofed with the quoting, my answers are in there.
LiquidCooled

Postby LiquidCooled » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:22 am

To go back to your first question, I just found a post by Shagrath that says that the 30MBits/s in the 360 conf file does put a ceiling on the bandwidth for transcoding to 360. This may be a limitation of 360, and his suggestion was to change the conf to 0 as you have done.
LiquidCooled

Postby mrfisz » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:31 pm

yes i did change it to 0 in conf file and it works. Im using bandwith limit field in GUI (its always 0 in conf file)
ive set the quality to keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=2 /* Best Quality */ and when I set limit to 0 cpu fills up buffer quite nicely but on some scenes bitrate is to big for xbox on the other hand when i set it to 30 and more bitrate doeasnt exceed 30mbits/s which is good but cpu (c2d 8400) has trouble to fill buffer. I can pasue and wait till it fills some buffer but its annoying. My question is how limiting bandwith affects quality is 30Mbits/s stream able to send same quality as 90 and more mbits/s stream?
My new media pc has wore cpu (c2d 5300) but it has nvidia 9300m gpu. So im hoping that CUDA will handle this. How good is CUDA?

As for refreshing i have media libary enabled and i see media libary folder under xbox360 but its unusable (its hard to find a movie there when you have multiple directories). Tiversity by default settings also doesnt allow automatic refreshing (you need externel script to do this). Can somone who has xbox confirm this?

Even though xbox360 support is very limited and problematic this software is awsome, Thanks.
mrfisz

Postby sangeek » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:22 pm

I also played around with these settings. My XBOX 360 would stutter a peak rate of 96,000kbs. That to me looks to be the bandwith limitation of the fast ethernet port on the XBOX. What i did was set the "Maximum Bandwidth " to 90 and now it never stutters unless the Buffer is empty... I left the xbox.conf file at defaults

Why would Microsoft only put a Fast Ethernet port, who knows. Its not like manufacturing cost is that much more for a GigE port...
sangeek

Postby mrfisz » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:17 pm

Yes this is xbox limitation so it would be reasonable to send 90000kb/s (90Mbits/s) or less stream. Unfortunatelly i cant set it do do so.

Can you check what is the max current bitrate in status tab? because in my case it doesnt exceed 30000 kb/s so it acts like 30Mbits/s limit. If i set it to lower value it works fine but somehow this 30000 kb/s is always there (when you set bandwith limit to more than 30Mbits/s ofcouse). It will not be a big problem if my nvidia 9300m paired with coreavc and CUDA can handle this (c2d 8400 cpu is not good enough)

"However, the transcoding quality is a balance between network speed and cpu power: the more quality you will put in a constrained bitrate,
the more your cpu will suffer! Also, don't expect to fit a 1080p action movie in the purest quality in 15Mbps :p"

You can put 1080p action movie with quality set to keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=2 /* Best Quality */ in 30Mbps stream but it would be great if i could send it with higher bitrate maybe cpu will be less stressed (Or maybe it wont ?).

p.s. im using the new beta with a/v sync issues fixed
mrfisz

Re: bandwith limit issues Xbox360

Postby ThaDraGun » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:52 am

Which version has the sync fix, and does it have to be enabled somehow??

I'm using 1.11.350 with my xbox and everytime I play a 720p video it starts off ok, but then it goes out of sync. Very annoying.
ThaDraGun

Postby mrfisz » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:08 pm

Latest builds [2009-07-30] / Current revision: 356. This verion has a/v sync issues fixed and i can confirm this.
mrfisz

Postby pup99 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:06 pm

mrfisz wrote:First of all thanks for fixing a/v sync problem on xbox360.

are people mis-understanding the options here?, as far as i understand it,
the GUI rate is for limiting the total throughput you want to push through your (wireless)LAN segment at any given time,
wereas the 30Mbits/s set in the 360 conf file as set by default by Shagrath or whoever wrote that part,
assumes the 360 codecs/containers can handle upto that 30Mbit/s per file streamed , is that not right Shagrath ?

infact the 360 data and my testing indicates that infact the 360 can only handle 10Mbit/s AVC 1080 at ref=3,AAC=2,mp4 smoothly
see my other post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3280&p=14281#p14281

http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/ ... k-faq.aspx
"2. What exactly does the Xbox 360 support for H.264?

Xbox 360 supports the following for H.264:

· File Extensions: .mp4, .m4v, mp4v, .mov
· Containers: MPEG-4, QuickTime
· Video Profiles: Baseline, main, and high, up to Level 4.1 profiles.
· Video Bitrate: 10 Mbps with resolutions of 1920 x 1080 at 30fps. See question number 11 for more information.
· Audio Profiles: 2 channel AAC low complexity (LC)
· Audio Max Bitrate: No restrictions.
...Use higher bitrates at your own risk.

"
and even with the latest MS VC-1 (WMV Advanced Profile ,FourCC: WMVA) we dont have a good cross platform cli encoding app for,
is limited to
Video Bitrate: 15 Mbps with resolutions of 1920 x 1080 at 30fps
Audio Profiles: WMA7/8, WMA 9 Pro (stereo and 5.1), WMA lossless
http://alexzambelli.com/blog/wmv9-vc1-faq/

http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/ ... k-faq.aspx

given the choice, even if you could find a cross platform free fast/realtime cli encoder option for vc-1 Advanced Profile , most people would,
and Do still opt for generic AVC/H.264 x264 for its far better compression/quality everyone trys to beat but fails ;)

so at the end of the day it would seem you can set the actual limit in the config file to no more than 15Mbit/s anyway, probably 10Mbit/s if you stick to AVC trans/encoding only, perfectly low enough for any old wireless 11g LAN giving an average real data throughput of around 15-18Mbit/s, perhaps even the original 11b for D1 and below Dix/Xvid AVI etc, and 11n being a luxury with WAY more bandwidth than any single AVC 360 streamed file can use right now for direct streaming....

its all in the perspective and so a larger No is not always your better option if im understandign these PS3ms settings.... OC the PS3's current internal firmware codecs and containers are good to over BR standards streaming upto 32Mbit/s,ref=4,1080P60 so again the PS3 could also have a 30Mbit/s limit set and still be fine with anything ref=4 or below....
so En/transcode all your future content to 10Mbit/s, ref3, mp4 max and your fine for direct 360 and ps3 streaming ,plus all the other 3rd party kit out there that likes H@L4.0/4.1
pup99

Return to General Help and Support