Question from beginner regarding PS3Media Server

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Question from beginner regarding PS3Media Server

Postby Rav100 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:10 pm

Hi.

As a newcomer to your forum I hope to gather advice to my PS3 and streaming issues. Before my questions, I would also like to apologise for my naivety with any of these related issues. I'm at the start of trying to backup and stream my bluray disc collection via my Mac Pro (in dual boot Windows Vista Ultimate mode) and stream the movies to my PS3 via a wired connection (ethernet cable). Unfortunately, a number of issues have arisen. Before stating those, I thought I might give you some info as to my setup. I have a Mac Pro in Windows Vista Ultimate mode. I do have a broadband router but choosing to connect my ethernet cablke between my Mac Pro to PS3 directly. As I have a Samsung ue40b7020 tv set with ethernet and built in decoding software (i.e. MKV, AVI, etc), I am also using the supplied Samsung PC Share Manager acting as a DNLA server. I select this on my tv set via Source menu on my tv remote (I don't think this is relevant to my PS3 issue but I mention it just in case). The problems are as follows:

1). Once I activate the PS3 Media Server software, there is a tendency for my PS3 to lose or jump out of connection with my computer. On the few occasions the link remains, a number of my higher bitrate media and larger files stutter in playback.

2). As the majority of my titles are in M2TS VC1 files, I was hoping to select and play these files directly through the PS3. Unfortunately, my PS3 (with 2.80 update) states it as data corrupted. I tried to use the "transcode" folder on the PS3 and then select the m2ts file, but only the audio plays against a blank screen. If it can be helped, I would like to avoid trancoding in order to maintain the best quaity.

3). I have an MKV contained movie from one of my h264 movie files I extracted from a disc which exhibits large green blocks of artifacts and a stuttering playback. Interesting, this MKV 25gb file plays very smoothly via PC Share Manager directly from my computer to my Samsung TV via a connection to router to TV ethernet port. (My tv incidently does not recognise m2ts at all, and stutters consistently with WMV (VC1) files above 5 mbps so I don't intend to use that route).

4). I've heard that WMP 11 is useful but when I select it and goto Libray>Media Sharing options, it doesn't seem to detect my PS3 at all except only my TV (Samsung TV DMR). I have also ticked "Allow new devices and computers..." but it has no effect. I am using a straight lan cable from one of my two ethernet port on the back of my Mac Pro to the PS3.

As I am in the middle of considering whether cleaning out and reinstalling windows on my Mac Pro, I thought perhaps I could also gather some of your advice to install some recommended software for PS3 in order to make it run as smoothly and good a picture as possible. Perhaps I should avoid Vista and use another and alternative boot in to XP mode?

Any possible help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rav.
Rav100

Re: Question from beginner regarding PS3Media Server

Postby LiquidCooled » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:17 am

I would connect your PS3 to your router, just in case you are having network problems and not software problems, this may resolve the first part of 1), as for the second part presumably you are trying to play back a file that requires transcoding. If that is the case you could try adjusting the video quality settings under the Transcoding Settings. Unsure about 2) as haven't any m2ts, but I would agree with you on the transcode point, I try not as well. Have a hunt about the forum as the topic of bluray backup has been discussed.
3) Your TV can play mkv files natively, PS3 cannot, shame on Sony. So PMS is having to remux file, I think. From my own experience I have found it best to repackage the file to mp4 using MKV2VOB.
4)This problem may be resolved by using router to handle traffic as in first point.

There is no need to avoid Vista, I have been using Vista 64 for over a year with no problems, well none caused by vista.
Hopefully this helps.
LiquidCooled

Postby Rav100 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi Liquid cool.

I do apologise for the delay in replying. I mistakenly thought I would recieve an automatic notification of a reply by email, but Ihadn't ticked that option! I will definitely try your suggestions and hope for the best. I'll get back with the results of my efforts soon.

Thank you very much for the reply!

Rav.
Rav100

Postby Rav100 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:58 pm

Hi Liquid Cool and all.

After getting back to the issue of my PS3 connection issues recently, I've tried for the past week to get my PS3 recognised by my Mac Pro (Windows Ultimate OS) in order to stream media. Unfortunately, my PS3 continues to not be recognised under Libray>Media Sharing option. The other problem is when I try to use the PS3 menu to select and stream a file from my Mac Pro, with PS3 Server software activated, it keeps losing connection. The PS3 reports a DLNA 2104 error and fails to be detected by PS3 Media software until I switch my PS3 off then on for another temporary connection.

On the last post, it was suggested by Liquid Cool that I connect my Mac Pro directly to my netgear router (wired), then to the PS3, instead of my previous setup of a connection between mac pro and PS3. Unfortunately, I am still getting the same loss of connection and error.

I've looked at the Network Discovery option and it is set to ON already. I realise that my PS3 firmware (2.80) may be the root cause of this error, but I am hoping someone can help me to prevent this regular loss of connection.

Is there anything I could try? It is so frustrating.

Thanks.

Rav
Rav100

Postby Rav100 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:53 pm

Sorry, I forgot to mention! There is a 80030928 error on the PS3 when the connection is lost.

Rav.
Rav100

Return to General Help and Support