MKV & Multiple Audio Streams

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

MKV & Multiple Audio Streams

Postby MGSteve » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:00 am

Hi, just a quick few questions:

1) I have an MKV with an x264 video stream which is playable on the PS3 anyway, does this mean its transcoded even when it doesn't need to be?
2) I have an MKV with multiple audio streams, you don't seem to be able to switch between the streams with the PS3.

Other than that its pretty good :) Nice work.
MGSteve

Re: MKV & Multiple Audio Streams

Postby meskibob » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:24 pm

1) From the official features list: Remux H264/MPEG2 video and all audio tracks to AC3/DTS/LPCM in real time with tsMuxer when H264 is PS3/Level4.1 compliant
Note: full transcode is necessary for subtitles support (blame the PS3)
2) Take a look in the #Transcode# folder ;)
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby MGSteve » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:05 pm

Thanks, I was trying find out if it was transcoding the video that's all.

Anyway, I've rediscovered the joys of .m2ts files, just convert the MKV to a .m2ts file and all is well, can select which audio track to play and it doesn't transcode anything :D

Just to confirm, for it to display the subtitles (a .sup file in the folder), you have to select a transcode option? If so, I'll convert & add subtitles into the MKV file and convert that to .m2ts instead.
MGSteve

Postby meskibob » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:34 pm

MGSteve wrote:Just to confirm, for it to display the subtitles (a .sup file in the folder), you have to select a transcode option? If so, I'll convert & add subtitles into the MKV file and convert that to .m2ts instead.
It doesn't matter whether or not they are external or embedded, if they are soft subs (meaning they can be configured or turned on/off) then you will need a full transcode. The only subtitles that will not need a full transcode are ones that are hard coded (burned) into the video track and can't be configured or turned on/off. You'll have to see which your conversion tool is doing.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support