M2TS & DTS - Why is direct (tsmuxer)-streaming not possible?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

M2TS & DTS - Why is direct (tsmuxer)-streaming not possible?

Postby Parker77 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:03 am

Hi there,

I'm wondering why it is not possible to stream a m2ts-container (i.e. ripped untouched blu-ray h.264-stream, no subs, solely one DTS-audio stream) directly to the PS3 using the tsmuxer-engine? (yes, respective options "Keep DTS in stream.." and "use tsmuxer when stream is..." are selected)

I always have to hit the #transcode# folder and use the mencoder/tsmuxer-option (w dts as audio-track) and then it works (actually w/o trancoding). The other way is to remux the streams (h264+dts) in a mkv-container.

Is it a desired way or is there a misunderstanding on my side?

Thanks!
Parker77

Re: M2TS & DTS - Why is direct (tsmuxer)-streaming not possible?

Postby meskibob » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:27 pm

M2TS is streamed by default, but you need to transcode for the DTS workaround to work (PS3 doesn't accept DTS audio for streamed media, so PMS packages it into a 2ch LPCM stream that the receiver decodes as DTS). You can add M2TS to the "Force transcode of following extensions" setting if you want to streamline this a little bit.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Parker77 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:47 pm

Thanks for the answer.

What will happen if I force transcoding for a m2ts-file (with dts audio) as mentioned? Just a "repack" of the m2ts-container (i.e. packing the dts-track in a LPCM-track and leaving the video-track untouched) or a really transcode (i.e. encoding of the video to MPEG-2)?
Parker77

Postby meskibob » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:06 pm

With the "use tsmuxer when stream is..." option you have selected it should automatically switch to TSmuxer instead of MEncoder, meaning you'll just get a remux instead of a full transcode. You can confirm this when watching the movie by looking at the file info (via the Select button). If it's AVC and LPCM, it's just a remux, otherwise it's a full transcode.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Parker77 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:24 pm

Yes, that is my understanding that P3MS should override a full transcode with this option. I will check later when I'm at home.

Hopefully it will work as presumed, otherwise it's a strong request for the future ;-)
Parker77

Postby Parker77 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:46 am

So, I've checked yesterday... It works as suggested, PS3MS just "repacks" the DTS in a LPCM-stream and leaves the video part untouched ;-)

Great! :lol:

But I think this options should be the default setting of PS3MS.. I will post a request...
Parker77

Postby thundermonkey » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:01 am

Hey, are you guys able to get this to work without running into sync issues? I have the audio slowly drift out of sync with every combination of settings I have tried for streaming M2TS containers with VC-1 video and DTS audio.
thundermonkey

Postby moshjahan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:38 pm

I have a old but trusty Yamaha DSP-A1 and indeed my decoder is able to detect a DTS stream in the 2channel LPCM for a M2TS (or MKV). I use a Core Duo (not CORE2), and I have not experienced any sync or audio or audio drift issues.
moshjahan

Postby Parker77 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:05 pm

@thundermonkey
We are talking about streaming (NOT transcoding) a h264-M2TS-file w DTS-audio. In fact a M2TS-file with VC-1 has to be transcoded. This may result in sync issues as discussed extensively here...
Parker77

Return to General Help and Support