I do have issues with the web-streaming (NEED HELP)

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: I do have issues with the web-streaming (NEED HELP)

Postby my87csx481 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:33 pm

dak61 wrote:Hi,
I have just built a new box and was having the same web streaming issues(black screen). The old box was working fine.

The problem is the VLC version. I was running version 1.0 on the new box and .98 on the old.

I downgraded to .98a and web streaming works again.

hope this helps,
Greg

How did you get it to work?

I'm having the same web streaming video problem as the thread starter (I'm trying to play something off youtube). I downgraded to vlc .98a (deleting the /program files/vlc directory first) but it is still showing a black screen on my TV. However, the stream opens on my PC monitor and plays while the PS3/TV is showing the black screen. :?

I have not tried web radio yet.

Am I doing something stupidly wrong or what? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Q9550 (o/c to 471 x 8.5 = 4.0 GHz)
2 gb DDR2 RAM
XPx64
PS3 Media Server v1.10.51
gigabit LAN, cable WAN
my87csx481

Postby Trolls » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:12 pm

my87csx481 wrote:
How did you get it to work?

I'm having the same web streaming video problem as the thread starter (I'm trying to play something off youtube). I downgraded to vlc .98a (deleting the /program files/vlc directory first) but it is still showing a black screen on my TV. However, the stream opens on my PC monitor and plays while the PS3/TV is showing the black screen. :?

I have not tried web radio yet.

Am I doing something stupidly wrong or what? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Q9550 (o/c to 471 x 8.5 = 4.0 GHz)
2 gb DDR2 RAM
XPx64
PS3 Media Server v1.10.51
gigabit LAN, cable WAN

I'm getting the same exactly the same error here...it appeared spontaneously AFAIK.
i've tried different versions of both PMS (1.11.356 and 1.10.51) and VLC (1.01 and 0.98a)..no change.

I get the same problem in both xp64 and Win7...
I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that the problem is Java related? Maybe a new update that acts differently?
Trolls

Postby my87csx481 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:59 pm

You know....I did update my Java several days ago....can't remember what application wanted me to do it. The java I used was named "jre-6u14-windows-i586-iftw.exe" if that helps.

I'm on a fresh install of XPx64 (about a week old). Haven't played with PS3 Media Server for about a month. I have no clue what java I had before the fresh OS install....it was a temporary dual-boot install while I waited for a replacement motherboard.

Hopefully there is a workaround for this....there must be a way to downgrade java without re-installing windows....I gotta' look into that, never tried to or had to before....I'll try to play around later....gotta' take care of other stuff until later tonight.

shagrath still didn't get an answer at the videolan forum yet either.

Oh yeah, I did try some streaming radio and the France international news and they worked fine.
my87csx481

Postby Trolls » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:00 pm

well...I tried uninstalling all Java (via Add/remove programs), and reboot.
As a result, PMS automatically downloaded and installed JRE 6 update 12 when i started it
I let it go ahead and then reboot...the problem didn't go away tho :-/

other than that, we seem to have a very similar setop...my XP installation is also pretty fresh and up-to-date too(a month old or so).
Right now im thinking that the problem could be anything...changes at Youtube , driver updates, temp files, unrelated newly installed programs...global warming :?

stats:
AMD x2 3500+
Nforce 590 mobo
2 gb ram
winxp 64
Geforce 8800 gtx
pms 1.15.356
vlc 0.98a
debug.zip
(9.99 KiB) Downloaded 54 times

PS: Those french channels work for me too...but i think they use Mplayer-web and not Videolan.
Trolls

Postby my87csx481 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:06 am

I was going to go with a lower version but, I went with 6.15 instead....same problem exists.

Oh well....at least I can still watch videos stored on the PC.
my87csx481

Postby Trolls » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:35 pm

my87csx481 wrote:I was going to go with a lower version but, I went with 6.15 instead....same problem exists.

Oh well....at least I can still watch videos stored on the PC.

PS3's built-in webbrowser is also pretty good for viewing Youtube :)
Not as good as PMS, but better than nothing:)

I've pretty much given up getting it to work...i've basically ruled out the possibility that the problem is software/windows related, since webstreaming used to work perfectly on my box, and now it doesn't work no matter what OS or versions of pms and vlc or windows i use.
My final suspect is my dsl router/ISP, somehow, but i don't really have any good way to test that :-/
Trolls

Postby juancn » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:13 am

I have the same issue. I think it's related to an update from Microsoft (that's the only change I think I made in my computer).
Streaming does not work at all with VLC 1.0.1.

With VLC 0.9.8a the video/audio plays in the computer rather than streaming (with a window and everything).

The command line that PMS uses to launch VLC is:
Code: Select all
"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" -I dummy --dummy-quiet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kXOg23pGeA :sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=4096,acodec=mp3,ab=128,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=ts,dst="\\.\pipe\VLC1251256160702"}}

I'm puzzled, but it looks like it's a bug in VLC. Any help is appreciated.
Update: I think one of these updates is causing the issue. If I can find the time I will try uninstalling them:
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB972260)
Windows XP Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows XP (KB973346)
Office 2003 Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB971931)
Windows XP Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - July 2009 (KB890830)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB961371)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB971633)
Office 2003 Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2003 (KB969603)
Office 2003 Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2003 (KB969681)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB970238)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB968537)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB961501)
Office 2003 Security Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2003 (KB957784)
Windows XP Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB959426)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB960803)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB952004)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB956572)
Windows XP Security Update for Windows XP (KB923561)
Windows XP Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)
Windows XP Update for Windows XP (KB959772)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB960225)
Update for Windows XP (KB967715)

Check if you guys have some of these installed. It might help to narrow it down.
juancn

Postby Trolls » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:02 pm

juancn wrote:I have the same issue. I think it's related to an update from Microsoft (that's the only change I think I made in my computer).
Streaming does not work at all with VLC 1.0.1.

With VLC 0.9.8a the video/audio plays in the computer rather than streaming (with a window and everything).

The command line that PMS uses to launch VLC is:
"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" -I dummy --dummy-quiet http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kXOg23pGeA :sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=4096,acodec=mp3,ab=128,channels=2}:duplicate{dst=std{access=file,mux=ts,dst="\\.\pipe\VLC1251256160702"}}

I'm puzzled, but it looks like it's a bug in VLC. Any help is appreciated.
Update: I think one of these updates is causing the issue. If I can find the time I will try uninstalling them:

Check if you guys have some of these installed. It might help to narrow it down.

hmm...that could actually be it :-D
i would rule out all office related updates tho...i'm using Office 2K7 and not Office 2K3, and i've just uninstalled it to be sure...
Trolls

Postby Trolls » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:48 pm

Update: i noticed another thing...when PMS tries to transcode a Youtube vid with vlc, the transcoding buffer on PMS's status screen shows negative numbers..
Does it do that for you guys? could it be relevant?

i've also rolled back IE to version 6 without any effect, but im not sure if i can't help any further, as i seem to have deleted the backup files for windows update :-/
But i hope you'll keep investigating...
Trolls

Postby RoadHazard » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:26 pm

Trolls wrote:Update: i noticed another thing...when PMS tries to transcode a Youtube vid with vlc, the transcoding buffer on PMS's status screen shows negative numbers..
Does it do that for you guys? could it be relevant?

i've also rolled back IE to version 6 without any effect, but im not sure if i can't help any further, as i seem to have deleted the backup files for windows update :-/
But i hope you'll keep investigating...

Yes, I can confirm that the transcoding buffer shows negative numbers when trying to use VLC. Actually, it does this no matter what video stream/feed I try to play using VLC - the only option that works at all for me is MEncoder, and even then it doesn't work for YouTube videos (MEncoder Web just returns an error code).
RoadHazard

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support