Media Server Stopped Seeing My Video Files

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Media Server Stopped Seeing My Video Files

Postby rickster53 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:43 pm

I have been a long-time user of PS3MS and have come across a problem that I can't figure out. For some reason, PS3MS does not see my video files that I have specified in a "Movie" folder on the Shared Folders tab of the UI. I also specified a "Music" and "Photo" folder and those both display and work fine on the PS3. So here's what i see on the PS3 for movies... I navigate via the XMB to the Movie icon, select the PS3MS and navigate to the Media Library folder (yes, I have enabled the media library). It says No Data. If I navigate to the "Movie" folder that I specified in the PS3MS UI, I get nothing and after a minute or so I get a DLNA error 2006. I didn't see anything peculiar in the trace file, so I quit and Restart PS3MS. Upon restart, I immmediately see the following:

[main] TRACE 16:22:29.888 Created socket: /192.168.1.109:5001
[main] TRACE 16:22:29.937 Using database located at : C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server\database
[main] TRACE 16:22:30.156 org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLException: Log file error: C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server\database\medias.trace.db, cause: org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLException: IO Exception: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server\database\medias.trace.db (Access is denied); C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server\database\medias.trace.db [90031-105] [90034-105]

This is followed by many entries containing " at .org.h2.message..." and "at.net.pms..." ; then:

[main] TRACE 16:22:30.162 Caused by: org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLException: IO Exception: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server\database\medias.trace.db (Access is denied); C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server\database\medias.trace.db [90031-105]

This is again followed by many " at .org.h2.message..." and "at.net.pms..." ; then:

[main] TRACE 16:22:30.164 Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files (x86)\PS3 Media Server\database\medias.trace.db (Access is denied)

This is again followed by many " at .org.h2.message..." and "at.net.pms..." ;

This set of errors repeats a couple of times and the trace stops with no trace message indicating the DLNA Server has started and no "Sending Alive" messages either.

Quiting and restarting PS3MS results in the same trace files and errors---seemingly, the db is corrupted? So I uninstall and reinstall PS3MS. Start up the new version and the trace looks great, at first---DLNA server connection and Alive messages are sent, but no video files show up on the PS3. If I quit and restart PS3MS, the Trace error messages are back. I am able to access and play the video files on my PC, so I know they are not corrupted in any way. They are all mp4's. Please HELP!
Last edited by rickster53 on Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
rickster53

Re: Media Server Stopped Seeing My Video Files

Postby shagrath » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:23 pm

stop the server, delete this "database" folder (with all files in it), and restart the server
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby rickster53 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:02 am

shagrath wrote:stop the server, delete this "database" folder (with all files in it), and restart the server

I believe I've done that already... After I uninstalled PS3MS I rebooted and then deleted the PS3MS folder in its entirety.. Then reinstalled PS3MS. After the reinstall the Trace looks clean and fine. Music and Photos work fine... It's not until I try and access any video files that I have the problem... But I will try your suggestion again and report back!
rickster53

Postby rickster53 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:29 pm

rickster53 wrote:
shagrath wrote:stop the server, delete this "database" folder (with all files in it), and restart the server

I believe I've done that already... After I uninstalled PS3MS I rebooted and then deleted the PS3MS folder in its entirety.. Then reinstalled PS3MS. After the reinstall the Trace looks clean and fine. Music and Photos work fine... It's not until I try and access any video files that I have the problem... But I will try your suggestion again and report back!

Shagrath,

So I did what you suggested and still can't see movie files, but I can still play music and view pictures! When I went into the Media Libraray it said "There Are No Titles". I then went to the Movie Folder which is the folder which I had assigned as D:\Movie in the UI and nothing happens for about 30 seconds and then a DLNA protocol error (2006) is displayed. Back at my PC the CPU is practically locked up at 100% utilization and McShield (McAfee) is running at 99%???? There are also a couple of instances of Tsmuxer and ffmpeg but even Task Manager can get any CPU cycles so it's difficult to monitor. Java.exe also seems to be grabbing cycles when it can... I eventually get PS3MS to Quit but the system stays locked at 100% CPU utilation for a couple of minutes and then finally tsmuxer and ffmpeg instances go away and the CPU frees up.

I repeated this test and the same thing happened again. This is happening on XP SP3 with v 1.10.51 of PS3MS. I am going to back off to my previous version of Java, currently running Java 6 Update 14 and see if that does anything. I may also reinstall McAfee Security Center. I welcome any suggestions anyone has...
rickster53

Postby shagrath » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:06 pm

try to add just one video folder in the media library, then launch the scan, then wait the end of the scan process
you can browse after that
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby LiquidCooled » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:07 pm

Before reinstalling McAfee make sure you have PMS.exe allowed through, if it is I would not expect McAfee to be bothered. If you do go ahead and reinstall McAfee remember to download McAfee's own removal tool, it is called McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool, MCPR.exe, and run it AFTER you use Add/Remove programs. As a matter of experience I have found McAfee to be an ackward piece of software. I use, and I know this is going to cause some groaning, Norton 2009, not the 360 product though, far better, never given me any problems.
LiquidCooled

Postby spikeinin » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:17 pm

You can't see anything peculiar in the trace file? Media Server Stopped Seeing your Video Files. check the settings.

Postby rickster53 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:01 pm

shagrath wrote:try to add just one video folder in the media library, then launch the scan, then wait the end of the scan process
you can browse after that

I am happy to report that my problem was solved and I believe my java version was the issue. Here's what I did...

When I last did the java update to Update 14, I am positive I did not do an uninstall first. I had Update 12 installed. So this time, I uninstalled java, McAfee and PS3MS. I reinstalled java Update 14, deleted the PS3MS database and reinstalled it. Started up PS3MS, waited for the library scan (is there any way to know this is in progress and or finishes, other than to check thru the PS3 itself to see if your files are present?), and voila! Everythign is working fine including videos. So I then reinstall McAfee and rebooted. On reboot, McAffe warns about PS3 wanting access so I "Allow" it, and PS3MS is still working. My gut tells me the last java install I did had issues---maybe because I didn't uninstall it first. Regardless, I'm back in business and thanks to everyone who contributed their ideas and assistance.
rickster53

Return to General Help and Support