DTS Audio over HDMI

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

DTS Audio over HDMI

Postby Maverick » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:18 pm

Gents,

I am in a bit of a mess here, I convert my movies to a PS3 compatible (recommended) format using MKV2VOB, after that I use my HTPC to stream the media via PMS Media player to my PS3 (over LAN) which is connected to an Onkyo SR-606 receiver via HDMI which then transmits audio to my BOSE Acoustimass 10 Series 5 (5.1 surround sound system) and video to my SONY Bravia 40X350A (Full HD X Series) via HDMI using Monster HDMI cables for all HD signals. Even with this setup I cannot get proper DTS audio as there is hardly any dialogue volume.....sound effects are fine.

So I decided to burn a movie on a DVD and play it off the DVD, DTS worked fine. Next I copied the movie on an external HDD and it worked fine off the HDD as well which indicated the problem to be with the way I am streaming off the PMS media server. Here's a screen capture of my setting....please advise what needs to be changed in these settings. Thank you.

Regards.
Attachments
DTS2.JPG
DTS2.JPG (132.8 KiB) Viewed 702 times
DTS1.JPG
DTS1.JPG (141.07 KiB) Viewed 702 times
Maverick

Re: DTS Audio over HDMI

Postby shagrath » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:39 pm

the dts option you enabled is valid only for real time transcoded/remuxed files, not pre-converted ones (meaning it will not affect mpeg files), so nothing can be done from a server's perspective here

still, you can try to play your original video (this server is made for that very purpose), or take your chance with the mkv2vob folks :p
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Maverick » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:28 pm

Actually I face the problem when playing MKV's as they are streamed off the media server so do you think my settings are ok?
Maverick

Postby shagrath » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:37 pm

yes, they are. the server is just wrapping the dts track around a pcm layer (like mkv2vob), so nothing is really changed. If you have low dialogue volume, maybe the center audio channel is not taken into account by your receiver, but if your video is playing right from an usb drive, I can't say what's wrong here :\
shagrath
Project Lead

Return to General Help and Support