VPN setup issues

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

VPN setup issues

Postby FetterBr » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:07 am

Hi.
I have some issues in the setup of PS3 Media server when using VPN. I live in China so i have an VPN account in the US to be able to use Youtube and Facebook. I use Win7 64 bit and i must say the setup to use the VPN is very easy except when i want to use the PS3 Media server at the same time.
I would like to see the Youtube on the PS3 trough the PS3 Media server and trough the VPN. Can someone help me please how to make the settings, i am a novice so if you can tell me in steps would be great. If any questions than please ask.
I have used Tversity for long time but now i have used PS3 Media serer and that is just the best. :)

Thanks. Finn.
FetterBr

Re: VPN setup issues

Postby FetterBr » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:06 am

Not even a comment, nice help to get here
FetterBr

Postby meskibob » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:41 am

You should just have to make sure that PMS is forced on the proper NIC (under the General Config settings) to get it to communicate with your PS3 or other device. However, getting PMS to use web content from youtube or facebook could be a little more complex since they are on a separate internet connection than your standard internet.
Some more details about what's actually going wrong (or what you're expecting to see) would be beneficial for anyone trying to help you, along with a description of your network setup (both LAN and WAN(s))
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby FetterBr » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:51 am

Hello, sorry for my late reply i have been traveling.
I will try to say how its setup.
On the PC/mother board there is 2 LAN connections.
#1 is connected to my router what than connect to Internet connection wall outlet.
#2 is the connection to my PS3.
I have than made a bridge connection between #1 and #2 and got a Mac Mini Wan. This Mac Mini Wan i think its called is than found by PMS and is connecting to the PS3.
Than i made a VPN connection on the PC and this i Login to when i want to use Facebook and Youtube. On this VPN connection i have setup that it can be used by other devices to go on the internet.

When i am connected to PMS i can see the Icon on my PS3 and i can see some Youtube connection but when i click them i never get to see anything and end up with an error, thats why i believe the PS3 is actually not connecting to the internet trough my VPN connection but is going the normal way in China where it is blocked.
Please feelfree toask if you need more info. Thanks
FetterBr

Postby otmanix » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:19 am

You have to check the problem in debug.log. You should find the reason for your playback problem there. Maybe it isn't the VPN at all but an exception in VLC, etc...
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby FetterBr » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:10 am

Where is that log file and shall i just post the text here from the file? i am sure i dont know what to do with the log file info.
FetterBr

Postby meskibob » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:32 am

I don't think there's a problem with your setup as far as PC-PS3 connectivity. The issue is with how PMS decides which NIC (Mac Mini WAN vs VPN) is your actual "WAN connection" when it goes to fetch the web streams, but unfortunately I'm not sure how that works. I'd assume it just tells the O/S to fetch the URL of the video stream and let's the O/S determine how to access that URL. If that's the case, you may be able to work it out by changing you network priority, which on XP and Vista requires opening the "Network Connections" window (very important it is that window and not all the other network junk in Vista and I assume Win7), opening the Advanced menu, opening the Advanced Settings item, and then reordering the VPN connection to the top of the "Connections" list.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support