Help with Xbox360

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Help with Xbox360

Postby perfectdark » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:20 pm

Hi all

Awesonme program

I am currently using bluray mkv rips.. I use MKV2VOB and convert DTS to AC3 and output as .mpg. My Ps3 plays this flawlessy and its great. But i also have a xbox360 in the bsmt that i would like to play this files on, but i haven't found a way to play them. If i select the movie it says unsupport format and if i select the movie under "transcode" i get the same response... any ideas?
perfectdark

Re: Help with Xbox360

Postby pup99 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:10 am

perfectdark wrote:Hi all

Awesonme program

I am currently using bluray mkv rips.. I use MKV2VOB and convert DTS to AC3 and output as .mpg. My Ps3 plays this flawlessy and its great. But i also have a xbox360 in the bsmt that i would like to play this files on, but i haven't found a way to play them. If i select the movie it says unsupport format and if i select the movie under "transcode" i get the same response... any ideas?

iv been through this very same thing, the fact is people encode to the highest specs and because they can.

Because they see a higher No. and so think it must be better right ,WRONG , just because you can, that doesnt mean you should, unless you doing it for noone but your self and your kit, it FAR better to allow for the average HD kit out there and thats 360 and PS3 and PC OC... of these the 360 has the lower spec for HD video playback because they dont update their codecs...

right the very first thing to realise of the highest specs you can use on the 360, thats easy 10Mbit/s H@L4.1, ref 3 for 1920×1080 at 30 fps AND only sterio AAC inside an .mp4 container.
http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/x ... ckfaq.aspx

why the PS3Media Server devs choose to use wmv containers for their transcoding to 360 iv no idea as it doesnt Encode to 15Mbit/s WMV9 VC1 and its matching WMA9 Pro (stereo and 5.1), rather than the prefered mp4 with 10Mbit/s H@L4.1, ref 3 AVC codec im not sure?, id Much rather have level 4.0 and 4.1 complient AVC than VC1 anyway, and sterio AAC isnt so bad if you need to use realtime encode on that 5.1 AC3 ...

ill come back to this in a while as i have time, to add the apps and their settings for you to pre En/transcode so keep checking, just thought id answer you as it very hard getting real 360 answers and solutions here it seems, later....
pup99

Postby shagrath » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:00 pm

about the choice of the WMV encoder, 2 reasons:

1- if you know a tool, able to create and stream in real time a mp4 file, I'm interested (I think mencoder and such create "offline" mp4 files, meaning the file needs to be fully encoded from start to end, before it can be streamed)
2- xbox does not support mp4 greater than 4Gbs (lengthy videos will be cut before the end :p)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby pup99 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:43 am

forgot all about this thread sorry.... perfectdark, the app was "AVIDemux" but im having problems with the latest one right now as its stopped producing sound output form the DTS mkv's i have without erroring, but ill try again to come back to that when iv sussed it.... try it anyway its fast for setting 10Mbit/s, ref=3, -crf 21 through 26 high quality one pass encodes and container swapping etc... CRF= IS the Option to use today for quality SD and HD x264 Encoding, try it and see your quality improve, the bitrate fall , and the file size drop by a LOT, its all good for streaming and decodeing..to generic direct streamable 360/ps3/Popcorn containers etc.

just a heads up shagraph, divx7 released another AVC (and aac iv not check it out yet but he makes reference to it below) Encoder beta today we/YOU might/Must want to test for faster speed/piping to PMS.
they use a far lower quality setting than x264 so may be it will be possible to use it in the one pass -qf 21 mode, much as the x264 -crf 21 through 26 gives far better visual quality , to get a quicker Encode for more piping etc...

iv no time to test it yet, and i dont know enough about PMS piping input or even if you put a testing url:port address in the code to try pushng different input pipes from the shell into that generic Multicast ? port, perhaps you can enlighten us on that later... :D

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=148849
http://labs.divx.com/node/11681
"....
Neither of these commands will work on their own. We must combine them using the pipe character, "|" to pipe FFmpeg's stdout handle to the DivX Plus HD encoder's stdin handle:

ffmpeg.exe -i "C:\SomeFolder\MyInput.avi" -cropbottom 8 -s 1280x720 -r 24000/1001 -f rawvideo -pix_fmt yuv420p - | divx264.exe -i - -y 1280x720 -fps 24000/1001 -qf 21 -o "C:\SomeFolder\MyOutput.264"

When we execute this command FFmpeg will decode and transform the input video, and the DivX Plus HD encoder will output an H.264 video stream, all without creating any intermediary files. All that remains is to mux the video stream into an MKV container:
"

or in our thread case, an mp4 container for temp file storage we setup somewere and playback later, as it does seem mp4 containers do put their data at the end of the file, and so no easy way for direct streaming from the pipe int a playable form on the fly, but iv not looked at it in depth, or found a real explanation in any doom9 threads were the mp4 container devs could clarify how we might make use of it as its the only viable way, to direct stream avc to the 360 without loosing quality,and using far more bandwidth with mpg2 etc....

i still think haveing PMS auto pre re-encode a selection of videos that need transcoding to AVC.mp4 "offline" as it were rather than "near realtime" "on demand" as now, is the way to go.

while your out, or after your nightly download cycle, into a default dir you set, to a fixed max setting if the files are higher than 360/ps3 can take.

or even have a seperate addon client server code for PMS that you can install on another PC, and have that/them look at what the main server PMS has found newly available to it, and then have that new client code LAN pass any encoding jobs its been told about to your encoding scripts Encoding across your 1 gig ethernet/11n remote connection, the possabilitys are manym with a little lateral thinking, and allowing for far more options use later, but thats another topic thread perhaps if your willing to try.
pup99

Return to General Help and Support