Directory Size - DLNA Error 2006

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Directory Size - DLNA Error 2006

Postby segfaultex » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:24 am

I'm having the same error on the most recent release. :|
segfaultex

Postby T-Roy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:46 am

Hi, I am getting the same problems, Getting error 2006, and taking ages to load up the files, sometimes not at all

Running v 1.30.1
i5 2.66ghz
4.0gb ram
Win 7 64 bit
cat5e
linksys wag320n
java 6 version 10 (build 1.6.0_10-b30)
PS3 "slim" FW 3.70?? (whatever the current one is as of 23/Aug/2011)
forwarded 5001 in windows firewall and router firewall
running the PS3 in a DMZ

was running PS3MS 1.10.51 and didn't have this problem, problem i had with that version was that the video would pause every now and then, kind of like youtube buffering. Installed 1.30.1 and it worked a treat for a few days no pauses and everything was working smoothly

Now am getting video pauses back again, when the video plays, but more often than not i go to load a folder, and it will just sit and "load" until the 2006 error appears, sometimes about a minute after that error appears the folder will load up well 10 items will, then maybe another 10, mostly it will just display another 2006 error and then display there are no files (or whatever the ps3 says when it can't find any media)

not sure what else to say except is there an answer to this problem yet, any more info required just ask
T-Roy

Postby wisewoman » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:19 pm

Hi there,

Same problem here DLNA 2006- I also suspect directory size as it only started recently and the only thing thats changed is that i added more files to my library. To test this i moved some of the files top another directory and the main directory worked fine again!

Running 1.4 on Windows 7 quadcore machine. This is my favourite media server and whilst I'm happy to split up my directories to avoid this issue, I would love to see a solution /fix.

Cheers,
Melissa
wisewoman

Postby jake1829 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:20 pm

wisewoman wrote:Hi there,

Same problem here DLNA 2006- I also suspect directory size as it only started recently and the only thing thats changed is that i added more files to my library. To test this i moved some of the files top another directory and the main directory worked fine again!

Running 1.4 on Windows 7 quadcore machine. This is my favourite media server and whilst I'm happy to split up my directories to avoid this issue, I would love to see a solution /fix.

Cheers,
Melissa

exact same issue ><

i7 2600k @4.9G
Gig wired network
ps3
jake1829

Postby Gorilliams » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:14 am

I'm getting this error and only have 24 files in the directory.
Gorilliams

Postby NateLogan » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:29 am

Same problem. I have about 100 files in my directory, but they are big (total size of 1TB). Those movies are in network share mapped to a drive ("disk Z").

PMS 1.54.0
NateLogan

Postby eatmedia » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:37 pm

Hi,

I can confirm, specifically in relation to error 2006, that directory size is the issue.

I had a huge amount of files in one top directory, as well as multiple folders. Total size of contents when I got error 2006 was about 590GB.

After reading a few posts in this thread relating to directory size, I tried creating levels via folders and organising. This solved my problem.

I verified this fix after partial sorting, the error returned in the new level I had created.

I further categorised the files into folders; the error disappeared.

So basically, from my experience: If you get error 2006, organise your content. Categorise Tv, Movies, whatever you have. Then continue into genres, or each tv show, then seasons, etc until it's all tidy. This will allow PMS to scan and load the contents without error.

Cheers, NSC
eatmedia

Postby msabell » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:46 am

sorry but this is not a solution, i have a lot of tv shows on my multimedia drive (639gb of shows) which are all catagorised into individual shows.

i went to watch one specific show (criminal minds, season 9) which has 11 files in it so far. my folder tree is f:\movies & tv\tv shows\criminal minds\season 9.

so no as i don't have like 300 files in that folder, i shouldn't be getting the 2006 error.

need help
msabell

Postby bjr72 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:16 am

msabell wrote:sorry but this is not a solution, i have a lot of tv shows on my multimedia drive (639gb of shows) which are all catagorised into individual shows.

i went to watch one specific show (criminal minds, season 9) which has 11 files in it so far. my folder tree is f:\movies & tv\tv shows\criminal minds\season 9.

so no as i don't have like 300 files in that folder, i shouldn't be getting the 2006 error.

need help

I agree. Changing directory structure to accomodate PMS is crazy time consuming and non intuitive.

I searched long and hard for an online solution. Someone posted to revert back to an earlier version so I removed the latest build and installed 1.10.51 from 2 years ago and man, what a difference. Absolutely no slowdown reading thousands of jpg's in my picture directory. In contrast, the latest 1.90.1 is terrible. I thought there was something wrong with my PS3 because I never ran a media server before and I never suspected there would be an issue with number of files in a directory. Reminds me of Windows 95 and 98 file limitations, 2GB limits, etc... so 90's... something like this should be a piece of cake for such a complicated program with dual core processors and 4GB memory.

I can verify as I am writing this that scrolling through over 850 MP4 videos and thousands of JPG's is REALLY fast... thumbnails show up MUCH faster even without the Media Library enabled. Version 1.10.51 is crazy fast compared to the latest version. And when I set a limit for transcoding quality, the video jitters go away.

Another thing is that that version 1.10.51 has no problem connecting to the PS3. Connection is fast and predictable. I can retart the PMS at any time and connection is made every time. On the newest version the connection is finicky.... the "retart server" button doesn't seem to do anything and I know this because directories on the PS3 are not updated. I have to shut the server down and restart from scratch to get any directory updates and even then the connection is only successful around 6 to 8 times out of 10.

I can live with the connection problem because once it's connected it's solid. But the directory problem drives me nuts. It leads to other errors like "Data corrupted" which make the server useless at that point. Nothing short of resetting the media library can fix it temporarily and then it comes back randomly. Nothing worse than scrolling through your media library and suddenly over 25% of your files show up as "DATA CORRUPTED".

Is ANYONE working on this? I love this program when it worked before I had accumulated so many files.

I'll be the first to put $25 into an Interac e-transfer or Paypal to get this slower than molassis latest version fast enough to be enjoyable by those of us with very large collections of files.

Please.
thank you.
bjr72

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support