Network help pls!

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Network help pls!

Postby chemosh6969 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:03 pm

There's no such thing in the world as a good cable router/modem. Buy a decent router and you'll be fine.
chemosh6969

Postby Trailblazer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:52 pm

If I am right this is your new setup?

2 PCs (one w PMS still)
II
Switch - PS3
I
Router

if it is then there is something with your PC not set up right... ... in the first picture you had the PC with PMS on the router which is why I asked if your router allowed upnp.. but now that you have it all hooked up the the switch this should not be an issue.. One thing you can check is that you have allowed port 5001 though the firewall? you have to add it manually, the application gets added but the port does not.. check to see if it is in the firewall and if it is not add it... if you are using windows firewall you will probably have to do it twice, one for TCP the other for UDP.
Trailblazer

Postby ExSport » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:19 pm

Try to disable all antivirus/firewall applications.
Try PING from PC to PS3.
Router here have no influence because trafic is going in one subnet so switch will redirect traffic, router will only assign IP,DNS, default route etc...
So I suppose that your problem is firewall or not correctly configured network settings on PC and PS3.
try from other PC:
Code: Select all
TELNET "IP of PC where PMS is running" 5001

If it will fail, you found the answer:-)
ExSport

Postby Fridaybrew » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:40 pm

Trailblazer wrote:If I am right this is your new setup?

2 PCs (one w PMS still)
II
Switch - PS3
I
Router

if it is then there is something with your PC not set up right... ... in the first picture you had the PC with PMS on the router which is why I asked if your router allowed upnp.. but now that you have it all hooked up the the switch this should not be an issue.. One thing you can check is that you have allowed port 5001 though the firewall? you have to add it manually, the application gets added but the port does not.. check to see if it is in the firewall and if it is not add it... if you are using windows firewall you will probably have to do it twice, one for TCP the other for UDP.

Thank you for input =)
I've been gone a couple of days, and i just tried to put the old router (without internet connection now) back. All i did was connect the Ps3 and my PC to the router and voila it worked like it did before. no hassle. This confuses me a bit why does it work through the router if the firewall is not correct setuped? I havent looked at the firewall settings yet. They are the same as far as i know for both setups and one work yet the other doesn't.

I'll look at the settings in my firewall later tonight.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 |16 GB Aeneon DDR2-800 CL2.5 RAM | Western Digital VelociRaptor - 300GB 10000rpm 16MB | 4 x Samsung SpinPoint - 1TB 7200rpm 32MB | PS3 with Samsung Spinpoint M6S HM500LI - 500GB 5400rpm 8MB 2.5zoll - SATA300 | Samsung LE 52 A766
Fridaybrew

Postby ExSport » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:04 pm

If it is working for you when connected via router but not switch, I suppose that router distribute to your PC and PS3 IP,mask and gateway(If you use DHCP on them). Then both PS3 and PC are in same subnet and see each other.
It seems not to be firewall because if yes, it will have same impact for both, switch and also router.
Please check your IP settings on PS3 and PC and post it here.
Or best try for you will be connect PC directly to PS3. You will avoid possible problems with router/switch devices. If it will not work, you have a problem man! ;)
ExSport

Previous

Return to General Help and Support