Complete newbie needs easy help!

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Complete newbie needs easy help!

Postby peckhamprince » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:21 pm

hello all,

First off great app! but being a complete newbie I'm lost! set up media centre ps3 recognises fine! have 32 bit vista, dual cpu, using wireless.
problem is major stuttering! and on the app itself and on a few post I've read here, talk of ports and NAT's are mentioned! but i dont have a clue! lol need someone to tell me how to set up ports to make my network peform! this is the problem! I know it! but have not a clue about ports and NATs! where do I find hem! where on my laptop do I set it up? where to change? lol please help a complete newbie?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
:D
peckhamprince

Re: Complete newbie needs easy help!

Postby sd-six » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:43 pm

first of all i would try a wired connection. i got stuttering too, trying to stream 1080p over wirless...

and then you need to do a little more research in the forum.. you have to give us more informations. What are trying to stream?

cya sd-six
sd-six

Postby otmanix » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:14 pm

I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby peckhamprince » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:27 pm

Cool.. will look at those! trying to stream 1080p movies (wireless) some are ok.. no stutter at all! but i need to configure ports and NAT's... just dunno how... lol or what they are! lol... or where to configure them!
just need to optimise performance really. Most of the time it works cool!

Thanks for any and all replies! :)
peckhamprince

Postby peckhamprince » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:13 pm

The tutorial was great! but still havent a clue how to cahnge the ports... force ip address.... find ps3 ip address... All of it! lol.... need pics, guides... the rest I can do! lol

Thanks! :D
peckhamprince

Postby peckhamprince » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:53 pm

Hello again,

On the tutorial there was a couple of links... one on ssid enabling! very helpful apart from its screen shota of winows xp.. im using vista! so doesnt help me!

any ideas???

Thanks!
peckhamprince

Postby LiquidCooled » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:24 pm

peckhamprince wrote:hello all,

First off great app! but being a complete newbie I'm lost! set up media centre ps3 recognises fine! have 32 bit vista, dual cpu, using wireless.
problem is major stuttering! and on the app itself and on a few post I've read here, talk of ports and NAT's are mentioned! but i dont have a clue! lol need someone to tell me how to set up ports to make my network peform! this is the problem! I know it! but have not a clue about ports and NATs! where do I find hem! where on my laptop do I set it up? where to change? lol please help a complete newbie?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
:D

Since PMS recognises your ps3 you shouldn't need to worry about SSID, which is the name of your wireless network as setup on your router, or ports or NATS. A port is just the address of your ps3 on your network. As far as making your network perform about the only thing you can do on a wireless network is make sure the router is using wireless G, which it probably is anyway, the ps3 is fairly limited as far as wireless streaming goes, it does it just not very fast. Your network may be being maxed out, depends what you are trying to stream. If it is a file that has to be transcoded then you may run into problems unless you can make a cabled connection between your router and ps3, and of course your PC and router. If you cannot make a cabled connection then your best bet is make sure your files don't need to be transcoded.
LiquidCooled

Return to General Help and Support