Network for a newbie

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Network for a newbie

Postby McHaggis69 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:05 pm

Hi Folks, I need a bit of help with media sever and my home network - and I get very easily confused with Megabits, megabytes, cat5 etc etc

Setup is -
New Dell xps with quad core 9550 and 6gig RAM
Ethernet port is Intel Gigabit

Sky Router.

2 x PS3's - the first directly connected to the router, the second connected via Comtrend Powerline 200Mbps (one connected to the router, the other to the second PS3).

I *never* have to transcode - I always have my movies in a format the PS3's can play natively.

The PS3 connected directly to the router plays my movies flawlessly 1080p and 720p via media server.
The second PS3 doesnt. The Comtrend powerline drops speed and I get stuttering - the LED on the powerline adaptor going from green to orange and sometimes even red when I try to watch a movie. 1080p movies are the worst, but it has sometimes started stuttering on 720p.

Is there anything I can do to improve the network connection to the second PS3 via the powerline adaptors?

I store my movies on my PC and noted that when streaming to the PS3 directly, I need bandwidth of beween 0.5 and 2 MB/s but occasionally peaking at 10MB/s when scene searching.

Is it worth changing my ethernet cables? The ones I used were just old ones I had lying around.

I don't really understand networking to know if it will make a difference.

As I understood it, my PC is more than capable of streaming 1080p (as proven when I watch movies on the PS3 connected directly to the router) and the Powerline adaptors should in theory be good enough? Do I need to ditch the powerline adaptors and go for an extra long cable from my router to the 2nd PS3?

Any help gratefully recieved.
McHaggis69

Re: Network for a newbie

Postby otmanix » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:01 pm

the connection quality of powerline adapters can be improved when not using power strips but direct plug into a wall outlet
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby McHaggis69 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:03 pm

thanks otmanix - both powerstrips are plugged directly into the wall sockets.

Is there any way to access the web interfaces of the powerline adaptors? I've read they have an interface but Ive no idea how to access it -
my router doesn't even pick up the powerline adaptors in its 'connected devices' list.
McHaggis69

Postby otmanix » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:15 am

sorry for my poor english... You should plug the powerline adapters directly into the wall sockets. No wires, etc...

Is there any way to access the web interfaces of the powerline adaptors?

Look at the adapters for vendor and model name and search at the vendors homepage for manual.
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Return to General Help and Support