Playing DTS MasterHD & Dolby TrueHD Soundtracks

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Playing DTS MasterHD & Dolby TrueHD Soundtracks

Postby rozel » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks guys - I have some more info now..................

I gather the PS3 can play DTS Master and Dolby True HD signals via it's external drive capability - apparently it kids the PS3 into thinking it's a Blu-ray disc.

So far I've rigged up my external HD (usb) and played an AVCHD title with a DTS Master soundtrack - it plays wonderfully but as you have already confirmed and I knew this already, it "downmixes" or limits the playback over toslink to standard DTS.

Knowing that the PS3 decodes LPCM over HDMI I have bought the Octava switch: -

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20switch% ... audio.html

which will route HDMI input from the PS3 to my receiver's 7.1 analogue inputs for amplification only. I will rig it up over the next day or so but I'm hoping and praying it will then give me the DTS Master and Dolby True HD soundtracks that I'm striving to listen too via my PS3. It should work but if it doesn't, I'm out for £283.

I know it cannot "stream" these signals and that my question is not related to streaming, but more to the PS3's capabilities, but I thought I would clarify here as you guys are experts!

Regards and thanks again

roz
rozel

Postby enigma69 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:26 pm

I tried both MKV and M2TS files and it is true that TrueHD and DTS-MA tracks will not play streamed to the PS3
I even tried manually updating the tsMuxeR version in PS3 Media Server, but no dice.

FLAC seems to be the way to go, however I tried creating a file with both AC3 and FLAC audio for compatibility's sake. But I cannot get PS3 media server to play the 2nd flac track when it exists.

any suggestions?
enigma69

Postby rozel » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:58 am

Just to say the Octava switch worked like a charm!

Perfect HD audio via Disc or HDD from my PS3 - purrrrfect :)

Just wish I could stream these marvellous sounds and play DTS .wav files too - although I can do the latter via my Buffalo Terastation, again which has been networked into my system to a Pinnacle Showcenter 200, which I've had for a number of years now :) So just need a method of streaming HD Audio now - pretty please?

roz
rozel

Postby rozel » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:00 pm

Ok - Since my last post I have bought the Octava switch and connected it up to my PS3 and hts

Wonderful !!! - I can now listen to High Resolution Audio via the PS3's HDMI (the PS3 supports decoding lpcm over \hdmi) through the switch and into my non-HDMI equipped Receiver's 7.1 inputs for amplification - marvellous!

This works flawlessly for playback of Blu-ray discs, AVCHD burned DVD-9's and playing similar ripped material via external HDD.

Question: -

If I can manage all that, why can't PS3MS stream these High Resolution signals for playback by the PS3 and for that matter stream DTS .wav files also? What are the limiting factors here unless that is PS3MS is still being developed and might be capable of this in the future?

roz
rozel

Postby meskibob » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:12 pm

rozel wrote:If I can manage all that, why can't PS3MS stream these High Resolution signals for playback by the PS3....?
The PS3 simply doesn't allow for that kind of audio quality for streamed media. It took awhile for the DTS workaround (package it in a 2ch LPCM track) to get figured out, and there's always the chance that more workarounds will be figured out for the various HD audios. But the best thing would be for the PS3 to support the audio...
rozel wrote:and for that matter stream DTS .wav files also?
See the following: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2356
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Previous

Return to General Help and Support