PMS on a PC to PS3 Wired Connection Setup?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

PMS on a PC to PS3 Wired Connection Setup?

Postby kramsy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:52 pm

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to PMS and I was reading up on Pc to PS3 connection using only a crossover cable and without the need for a router. Right now, I'm streaming via wireless laptop to wireless PS3. Most files stutter and its a pain. I was wondering if it is possible to connect a PS3 to my laptop using a crossover cable, and then use PMS to stream my vids so that unsupported files can be transcoded. Maybe someone who knows something about this and has tried it can help me out and discuss what he/she did to make it possible. I'm sure others will be interested as well. Thanks!! :D
kramsy

Re: PMS on a PC to PS3 Wired Connection Setup?

Postby boltmeister » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:06 pm

Well, try the following - maybe you can stay on wireless still (this applies to Vista-machines though):

From a command prompt - (Start - Run - cmd -> enter) - run this command:

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable
boltmeister

Postby kramsy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:20 pm

My laptop runs on Vista. I was wondering I could keep the internet connection on my laptop by connecting to the wireless router (via laptop's internal wifi) and then connect the PS3 to the laptop using a crossover cable (connected on laptop and ps3's ethernet ports). By doing so, I'd eliminate the need for connecting the PS3 to the router (which is a few meters away), or use wireless (which makes my 1080p media stutter). I'd then use PMS to stream the media from laptop to PS3. Is this possible?
kramsy

Postby kramsy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:53 pm

Got this reply @ the 'other' media server forum:

Sure you can connect your PS3 directly to your computer, but why would you do that when you can connect it to your router?

If you decide to do it here's what you have to do:
- If you want internet on both the PC and PS3 you need two network adapters in your computer.
1. Connect one to the router and the other to your playstation.
2. Run the internet sharing wizard in Windows.
3. Your PS3 should automatically receive and IP address, and you are ready to go I hope.

- If you don't care about having internet on your PS3, just connect it to your computer and set a static IP address on the PS3 in the same range your computer is in. (The range your router DHCP server hands out. Usually something like 192.168.1.2 - 254 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0.)

Makes, sense, will doing that make my laptop automatically detect the PS3? And would my PS3 see it as if I was in a network and can the laptop still be used as a media server? Thanks!
kramsy

Return to General Help and Support