100Mbit enough for 1080p with sufficient CPU?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

100Mbit enough for 1080p with sufficient CPU?

Postby kaiman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:43 pm

My first post (long time lurker...)

First of all: Great software! PMS made my PS3 useful.

I'm running v1.10.51 on a i7 920 (not OC'ed ...yet) computer with 12 Gb RAM, 64-bits Windows 7 RC, 100 MBit cabled network all the way from PC -> Router -> PS3.

I've understood from other threads that an i7 920 should be more than enough for transcoding 1080p without stuttering. But it isn't, in my case. I've concluded that 100 Mbit cabled network isn't enough for stutter-less (is that even a word?) playback of 1080p material with the following quality setting: keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=2 /* Best Quality */. (If I reduce it to keyint=3:vqscale=2:vqmin=3 /* Good quality */ everything is fine.)

I am going to upgrade the cables to 1 Gbit/Cat 5e in a few days, but I just started wondering: Is anyone else with a similar computer and network setup experiencing the same, or should 100 Mbit cabled network be sufficient with the best quality setting as long as the CPU can handle it?

I'm using Mencoder only (need subs), HT-version, and I've set a transcode buffer of 600 Mb, 4 cores, 6 channels 5.1 audio and DTS/FLAC -> LPCM enabled. Everything works, except for the mentioned stuttering of 1080p material which stutters only at the best quality setting.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. ;)
kaiman

Re: 100Mbit enough for 1080p with sufficient CPU?

Postby bahamot » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:48 pm

Nope. With your PC spec, your 100mbps network is the bottleneck.
Hurry up upgrade your network already!

On my system, 1080P with complex scene can have > 100mbps throughput.
bahamot

Postby meskibob » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:48 pm

What do you have for the Maximum Bandwidth setting under the Common Transcode settings?
Most 1080P should be able to fit into 100mbit, although some intense scenes/files (see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=322 for examples) will probably need gigabit. Your CPU is not going to be limiting in either case.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby kaiman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:58 pm

Ok, thanks for confirming. I will report back when I'm running a gigabit network.

At the moment I've set 80 Mbit for the Max. bandwidth. (As a sidenote: I've never understood this setting. No matter what I enter here, it seems to have no effect at all. Yes, I've searched. And read. ...For "hours". I just don't get it... Does it only work under certain circumstances/depends on other transcoding settings?)

Thanks for the quick replies, btw. ;)

(And excuse my English. It is obviously not my native tounge.)
kaiman

Postby papaTRIX » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:06 pm

@kaiman
moving to a gigabig lan is always a great choice. i would just caution that cables alone do not make a gigabit lan. the router, any hub or switch and your computer's nic must all be capable of full duplex and gigabit rated. also if you have the cash, splurge on some cat 6.
ps3ms @ 1.50.0 (b2) :: gigabit lan :: (i7 920 @ 4Ghz | 12G ram | geforce gtx 280) w7u sp1 x64
papaTRIX

Postby rozel » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:59 am

For what it is worth, I wondered whether to install CAT5e or CAT6 cables when I went to the expense of connecting my HTS system to my main pc recently - housed in separate rooms quite a distance from each other.

I had some CAT5e cable handy - 100 meters actually - so to keep the expense down, I went with this and used 2 lengths each of appx 30 meters each - one to go to my HTS and one to another room, which my wife uses upstairs.

I have absolutely no regrets - all my gear is 1000mbps rated and it is not entirely clear whether CAT5e is limited to only 100mbps - there are huge debates as to whether CAT6 is really necessary. The PS3 is not rated this high either from what I have learned.

My streaming works flawlessly - I use a Core 2 Quad 6600 processor, Vista Ultimate (64-bit) with 4 Gb's RAM - however anyone trying to get these high quality files working properly over this sort of distance using a WLAN are heading for worries, no matter what processor you have. By the time you pratt around trying to get wireless to work, you might as well install cables!

Just my tuppence worth

roz
rozel

Postby kaiman » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:19 am

Just a quick update. (For future readers, perhaps?)

I've now replaced my 15 metres of 100 Mbit/s cat5 cable with Cat5e, running 1 Gbit/s full duplex. And sure enough... Everyting runs smooth with no sign of hiccups/stuttering. Max. bandwidth set to 0. Great! :)

Current wiring:

PC--->Gigabit switch--->PS3
                   |
                   |
      Router (100mbit)
                   |
              Internet

This is just a feeling, but displaying current bandwidt use on the PS3, it seems to be lower now (for the same movies)... Is that just my imagination, or could there be an explanation for this?

And one last thing if anyone has some thoughts about this as well: Is there any point in going for the "crazy" quality setting instead of "best"? In what cases (if any) will the crazy setting stutter?
kaiman

Postby meskibob » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:17 pm

The PS3 bitrate can get a little wonky when things are stuttering.

As for crazy vs best, crazy is a truly lossless conversion, while best is almost lossless (negligible difference) but with a much lower bitrate. Your call really which you want to use, but I'd say unless you see a difference it doesn't make sense to add all the extra bandwidth.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby perfectdark » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:47 pm

I'm playing 1080p mkv's on my ps3 via my pc that is only a P4 single core 2.0ghz with 1 gb ram and windowx xp.. If this old pc can handle it, yours should be able too
perfectdark

Postby kaiman » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:43 pm

@perfectdark

PS3 media server can work on most PCs, including older ones. I've recently upgraded my HW from a dual core, xp, 3 gig ram, which also managed most video. The question is: At what quality setting (don't forget the audio)?

Transcoding full HD material with subs and AC3/DTS (6 channels or more), takes it's toll on your computer and network.

Are you able to transcode 1080p MKV's (with subs) at the best quality setting?
kaiman

Return to General Help and Support