Need help for a technically challenged user

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Need help for a technically challenged user

Postby ethanspear » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:47 pm

I downloaded PS3Mediaplayer on my Lenovo X60 tablet (Core Duo 2, 3 Gig RAM, 320GB 7200rpm HDD) and I stream video to my PS3+HDTV over a wifi connection. Some of the videos stutter and 1080p clearly has problems.

I'd like to have a wired connection between my laptop and the PS3/wi-fi router so I can get solid performance, and I really have no idea what I should be doing.

-What kind of cable should I buy?
-What should I connect where and how? (I have a virgin media fibre optic broadband connection. I've connected the cable modem to a Virgin media supplied wi-fi router, but I have a wired connection between the PS3 itself and the TV. But the streaming from the laptop to the PS3 is over wireless)

I'm not technically savvy about these network connectivity issues, any help and pointers greatly appreciated.
ethanspear

Re: Need help for a technically challenged user

Postby WorldOfHurt » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:59 pm

cat5e or cat6 ethernet patch/uplink cable of whatever length you require.
Plug it into a spare ethernet port on your router, and plug the other end into your pc.

That's it.
WorldOfHurt

Postby zomgheals » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:02 pm

I think best bet would be to just get a cat 5 cable (standard ethernet cable)

Cat5 = 100mbps, this means data is transfered at a reasonable rate, good enough for pms to stream 1080p.
Cat5e and Cat6 = 1gbps, what this means is: Can transfer data faster, means videos will stream faster BUT require your router and PC to have 1gbps cards, pretty sure these are backward compatible.

Crossover: PC to PS3 directly is what this TYPE is used for
Patch/Straighthrough: Will connect PC to router, PS3 to router.

But seeing as you do not know much, i think just buy cat5 (patch/straight through) cable as it will be easiest for you.

Logical Layout:

( ----- is cat5 cable)

PS3------------{Router}----------{Internet}
PC----------------/

Hook PC up to router
Hook PS3 upto router

your DHCP on the router (assigns IP's) will do the magic for you.

Run PMS

Should work straight away.

Tada :D magic is done
zomgheals

Postby bahamot » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:46 pm

For long range, invest only on CAT5e (or better). Avoid CAT5! You're going to regret it once you decided to upgrade your network to gigabit.
bahamot

Postby ethanspear » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:19 pm

Wow, thanks guys! This is very helpful -- it doesn't to be hard at all. I want to do this right away so I can get a smooth playback experience...hoping this will do the trick.

Is there a substantial difference between streaming on a wi-fi connection and a wired connection.
ethanspear

Postby NaweG » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:44 pm

ethanspear wrote:Is there a substantial difference between streaming on a wi-fi connection and a wired connection.

Yes. Very much so.

It means that you can send things at best quality, and not have to worry about there being enough capacity to send the stream. It also means you don't have to worry about interference. It's also somewhat more secure (to the extent that matters).

Of course the downside comes in if you have to run the cable very far, or if you're in an area prone to thunderstorms. We had a strike a mile away hit the cable system, run up the cable, and fry the router attached to the cable modem, and the network cards of the Tivo and the PC that were connected directly to that router. Which is why I had ALL my systems on wireless before I started running PS3MS. I've now got the cable going through a UPS, and so am hopeful that the UPS would take the brunt of the damage if there were ever a repeat...
NaweG

Postby zomgheals » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:58 am

Seeing as user doesnt know much about networking etc, i dont think he knows what ethernet type he has :P (100mpbs, 1gb etc) i thinks it's safe to stay at 100mps as it is still good enough to play most 1080p smoothly :P - if not just lower the settings a tiny bit.

but if he does know, and wants to spend a little bit more money get 5e or 6 :P
zomgheals

Postby bahamot » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:53 am

Nowadays, CAT5e is the common LAN (patch) cable you can get on the market.
bahamot

Return to General Help and Support