Some questions about streaming mkv 720p/1080p

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Some questions about streaming mkv 720p/1080p

Postby JustaGuy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:24 pm

Hello everybody,
first of all i must say, english is not my native language, so i hope you understand what iam trying to tell you :D
Second thing is, i never believed there is a tool like this here. I really was impressed what this tool can do and i hope, i can finally receive the informations i need, to have a even better experience with this program than before.

Okay, here are my questions, there are all about mkv, cause avi and anything else works perfect :)

I have a .mkv file with 720p, its running smooth on my xbox 360. But the audio is async, could be 2-3 seconds. really annoying and not watchable.
I tried another 720p file, it worked perfect. I think its because the audio is different. The second file has a bad audio quality. I try to attach some media info .txt's for you.
If i could set a delay for the audio track, i would be happy. So i had to adjust for every file, but this is ok for me.
But i dont know how i can do that...and where...in ps3 media server or in a codec like ffdshow...dunno...

Of course a solution without adjusting every single file would be great...

I have a 1080p file, it stutters and dont run very smooth. I can see in the ps3 gui that that the file or the bitrate is too high, for my network, my pc or my settings. Or all of this. I dont know.
I see the transcodebuffer and its always to slow to reach the bitrate that this files needs to run well. When i pause the movie in my xbox360 and wait a few minutes, the buffer gets bigger and bigger, but when i start the file again, its going down again and when its empy, it stutters.
The audio btw is sync, not like that 720p file.

I read a lot in the FAQ and Readme about using another Encoder with another codec, coreavc, but i must say, i really dont know much about that codec and especially in combination with your tool and streaming...i just started two days ago with collecting information to this thing. But maybe this other encoder could play the movie in a better way? I dunno, but i would try :)

What is really important to stream videos at best?
I read in a, for my impression, good guide that cpu and networkcard is important.
I upgraded my network from 10/100mbit card to a 10/100/1000mbit card.
Of course i set "1000 Full Duplex".
But was this really good?
Of course i see in ps3 media server a lot more bitrate, but the 1080p file is still stutters.

My pc:
Core 2 Duo 4300
1000Mbit Networkcard
Windows XP SP3
And iam using Xbox 360, as you read above :)

Codecs:
FFDShow Stable Beta 6, but i also tried some other versions, but no change with your tool.

Right now i cleand all codecs without ffdshow from my system, but i have coreavc codec, haalil splitter, ac3 filter already downloaded and ready to install if you think, i need it.

Finally i must say, i surfed through many german boards and all the xbox boards say i should ask playstations forums, and they say i should ask xbox forums.
So i go to the devs and i hope, you will gimme some hints about what i can change in my transcodeoptins or whats really important for streaming mkv's and so further...

I really appreciate the time you spend with reading this and thanks for (hopefully) incoming help :)

Regards,
Me :)

ps: i tried to attach...but in preview i dont see it...just tell me, then i post you the media info of those files.
JustaGuy

Re: Some questions about streaming mkv 720p/1080p

Postby otmanix » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:25 pm

search for a/v sync in forum
read this for example: http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2891

Have a look in Windows Task manager. Is one cpu core under heavy load (>= 90%)? I assume that CPU is too slow for transcoding.
There are possibilities to save CPU power when using CoreAVC instead of ffdshow for h.264-decoding.
A much better option is to avoid transcoding when possible. Is muxing enabled?

100MBit/s wired connection should be enough in most cases, 1 GBit/s is great...

Please read howto first: http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2191&start=0 (in Deutsch / or in English)
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby JustaGuy » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:04 pm

Oh, iam sorry that i dont see the pinned thread.
Here are my specs:

1- your computer specs (cpu, memory) and the precise server version you're using
Core 2 Duo 4300
2GB Ram
PS3 Media Server1.10.51

2- the network connection you are using for streaming your files (wifi, homeplugs, ethernet 100Mbits, or gigabit)
I use a wlan router without wlan :) Got a 1000Mbit Network Card, Ethernet

3- detailed infos on what's not working
Mkv 720p async
Mkv 1080p stutters because it ran out of puffer...i updated from 100 to 1000mbit network card, but i only see higher rates in ps3 media server, nothing else.
And even if i got enough puffer, in some fast scenes the picture seems slow, not normal. I think you know what i mean...

]b]4- if you're transcoding some videos, which engine are you using ? (mencoder, avisynth/mencoder, tsmuxer)[/b]
Mencoder was the first engine i used, all my experience are made with this encoder.
After reading in this forum, especially the "a/v sync issue" thread, i tried the avisynth/ffmpeg, also avisith/mencoder, but no one works for me. Ts Muxer never is even available in xbox menu when iam browsing files.

5- a debug.log file excerpt, or you can zip the whole file. this file can be found in the application directory, or if you have UAC and Vista activated, likely found in the Windows temp directory
Attached it!

6- if you are streaming to anything other than a PS3, please mention it
Good old xbox 360 :)

Okay, now my new experiences
Have a look in Windows Task manager. Is one cpu core under heavy load (>= 90%)? I assume that CPU is too slow for transcoding.
There are possibilities to save CPU power when using CoreAVC instead of ffdshow for h.264-decoding.
A much better option is to avoid transcoding when possible. Is muxing enabled?

http://img196.imageshack.us/i/cpuwhiletranscode.jpg/

It dont seem so, that my cpu is to weak, isnt it? It never had more load than 51%. Is my cpu now good enough for 1080p or not?

I read also this thread here(thx for link otmanix): viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2891 and set ALL settings like he did.
I installed exactly the same codecs in exact the same way than he did.
Software:

PS3MS 1.10.51
Avisynth 2.5.7
Haalli Media Splitter - 1.9.42.1 (Jan-11-2009)
FFDShow - rev3014 (Jun-20-2009)
CoreAVC 1.9.0

PS3MS Settings:

Avisynth/Mencoder set as primary video files engine
Mencoder - Force framerate parsed from FFMpeg
Mencoder - Expert Settings : Codecs specific parameters
framerate == 23.976 :: -speed 1.042709376 -ofps 25
container == matroska :: -nosync

With this settings, even the 720 file was stuttering all the time. The audio was still async.
...(few minutes later...)

I read again in your tutorial otmanix, now i think i understand how i can use CoreAVC and how i dont use ffdshow. Iam really a noob in this codec settings...
But i must ask again, if i set in ffdshow "h.264" to disabled.
I also installed CoreAVC, IF ffdshow is disabled with mkv files, will coreAVC automaticly be the "codec" to transcode? Or must i set anything else? Where did i see what codec is running while transcode?

Isnt there a "simple" expert setting parameter to change to delay of the audio line?

And btw, the 1080p file is in DTS,its sync, but the 720p has no DTS and is async. Maybe it has something to do with that?

Thanks again for posting :)
I will continue testing...but iam getting out of ideas...

edit:AviSynth/Mencoder wont work, always get unsupported format...why? ;(
Attachments
Debug.rar
Debug.log in it
(62.37 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
JustaGuy

Postby NaweG » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:51 pm

JustaGuy wrote:Here are my specs:

1- your computer specs (cpu, memory) and the precise server version you're using
Core 2 Duo 4300
2GB Ram
PS3 Media Server1.10.51

You don't mention if your computer is using an nVidia or an ATi graphics card. If you're using CoreAVC and you don't have nVidia, that could be part of your problem.
NaweG

Postby JustaGuy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:48 am

Yea, i read about this, iam very sorry.
I got a nvidia card, so its okay.

Again a picture from my cpu load:
http://img190.imageshack.us/i/cpuauslastung.jpg/
I think 1080p is too hard for my cpu, right? But did i see it right, that only one cpu is used? Btw, the experimental function in media server causes only crashes when i activate it.

And i have some new testing results.
- It seems i can say, that files with dts and 720p are running well. But my 720p file with AC3 5.1 is async, regardless what i do.
- AviSynth/Mencoder wont work anymore without the expert settings. But with expert settings it was stuttering. And now xbox always say "unsupported content".

So iam asking you, can i set a delay for the audio track with some commands for avisynth or the expert settings or somewhere else?
And do i need to set expert parameters when i use avisynth/mencoder? I really dunno what all these commands are good for...;/
And why the hell is dts sync and ac3 async?

And btw, i unistalled all of my codecs again, cleaned the registry and then installed everything clean again. Same settings like before.

If the 1080p files wont run smooth, ill maybe can live with it(MAYBE *g*), but i want to know how i can fight those sync issues if i ever got again a file with ac3...

Thank you.
JustaGuy

Return to General Help and Support