Some MKVs work. Some Don't. What should I look at?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Some MKVs work. Some Don't. What should I look at?

Postby meskibob » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:47 pm

The video reference frames only really matters with PMS if you're using TSmuxer to remux so the H264 video profile and frames have to fit into the PS3's capabilities. For a full transcode with MEncoder it shouldn't matter (especially since it's L3.1)...

@NaweG: maybe something got corrupted during the download...?
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby NaweG » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:55 pm

meskibob wrote:@NaweG: maybe something got corrupted during the download...?

But it plays fine on the computer itself, or when I just use the ts option and don't try to mux to add the subtitles. As it's more than just this one file, I doubt I'm having corruption issues over several files. Unless you think it might be something about the version of mencoder you had me DL to "fix" the crashes from my earlier issue (was crashing because the order of preferred subtitles didn't include the unk option)? Though again, if it were a corrupted mencoder you would think everything would fail...
NaweG

Postby NaweG » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:12 pm

OK, "fixed" the problem, but now I'm back to a somewhat different issue.

The "fix" for this problem was to tell mencoder to only use 4 cores instead of 8 (the i7 tells Vista it has 8 cores due to threading, but that's asking a bit much of most applications to work with it), and to turn off the resizing of the video. Once I did that, all my MKVs started working again.

My suspicion is that the non-working file at 640x480 was having to be enlarged by so much that it was dropping out, or because of the aspect ratio the enlargement was violating the spec. So now everything plays, but I'm back to the problem where the overscan on my Projection HDTV makes me lose a bit of the top and bottom of most videos - cutting off some of the subtitles. And there's no way on the TV itself to fix the overscan (short of paying a couple hundred dollars to have a tech come out here and fool with it).

Which means I "really" need someway to either tell the PS3 to underscan the image (which I assume is not possible), or to get PS3MS to do an "intelligent" resize where it looks at the file properties, and does an enlarge of up to 2x as long as it stays below 1680x720, or a reduce to 1680x720, making sure that if the aspect ratio won't exactly fit that size that it will make one or the other side smaller to insure that both the size and the aspect ratio are appropriate. I realize that is a bit of a tall order as well. I'd be open to running my videos through some kind of processor at the server end to pre-size them for viewing if anyone knows of a batch setup that can do such a programmed resize (since even on the computer it would be nice to have things at about that size).

Any ideas?
NaweG

Postby meskibob » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:05 am

Could do a pseudo-intelligent resize using the MEncoder expert settings and the aspect ratio or height/width of your shows. You may have to put in a command for each show, but after that it should be fairly streamlined. Not sure of the defined name for aspect ratio, but it'd be something like
Code: Select all
#using aspect ratio
aspectratio == a :: -vf scale=b:c
#using height/width
width == w && height == x :: -vf scale=y:z

And note that vf scale only works if it maintains the aspect ratio of the source (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/me ... scale.html)
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby NaweG » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:51 am

meskibob wrote:Could do a pseudo-intelligent resize using the MEncoder expert settings and the aspect ratio or height/width of your shows. You may have to put in a command for each show, but after that it should be fairly streamlined. Not sure of the defined name for aspect ratio, but it'd be something like
#using aspect ratio
aspectratio == a :: -vf scale=b:c
#using height/width
width == w && height == x :: -vf scale=y:z

And note that vf scale only works if it maintains the aspect ratio of the source (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/me ... scale.html)

Many longer series are released by different groups over time, and so the size changes throughout a run. So it would require me to look at each file by hand, and I'm trying to avoid that :D

Looking at the above, is there anyway to do something like (pseudo code to get the idea across):

var w = current width(file)
var h = current height(file)
var a = current aspect ratio width(file) (16 or 4 here)
var b = current aspect ratio height(file) (9 or 3 here)
var new_w = conversion width
var new_h = conversion height
var x = conversion ratio
new_w = 2 * w
if new_w > 1680 then new_w = 1680
x = new_w/a
new_h = x*b
if new_h > 720 then new_h = 720 {
    x = new_h/b
    new_w = x*a
}
convert file using new_w, new_h

If the above can't be done with PS3MS directly, is there some way to setup something else to run through a directory and do a batch conversion using something like the pseudo code shown?
NaweG

Postby meskibob » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:07 am

Not within the current expert settings structure, as I'm pretty sure the values after the :: are directly passed to MEncoder. Maybe it could be updated so that variables are allowed throughout, evaluated at runtime, and then passed to MEncoder, but that's upto shagrath & Redlum.
In the meantime, I'm not sure what you could use to batch script/process the resizing...
meskibob

Previous

Return to General Help and Support