Some MKVs work. Some Don't. What should I look at?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Some MKVs work. Some Don't. What should I look at?

Postby NaweG » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:18 pm

Just to let y'all know, I like PS3MS so much I not only made a small (hopefully another larger one when I get my next contract) donation to the project, but I also just bought a PS3 to replace my XBox 360. Someone should tell Sony they're selling more PS3s due to this program!

OK, that's the good news. The not so good news, is that I thought changing to a PS3 would help with a problem I'm having, and it doesn't seem to. I have a large collection of MKV files that are subtitled, and on some of them PS3MS works like a charm, and on others it gives me an invalid format error. I can't seem to figure out a rhyme or reason for which ones it likes or why. What should I be looking at?

Oh, and just in case any of this matters:

1- your computer specs (cpu, memory) and the precise server version you're using
i7 Core 3.2 GhZ, Vista 64 Ultimate SP2, 12 Gigs Ram for the PC - Server version is 1.10.51

2- the network connection you are using for streaming your files (wifi, homeplugs, ethernet 100Mbits, or gigabit)
Host PC is on Ethernet 100 mbps streaming over Wireless G to a PS3

3- detailed infos on what's not working
Some MKV files transfer just fine, and others give me an invalid format error on the PS3. I can't figure out why it likes some and not others.

4- if you're transcoding some videos, which engine are you using ? (mencoder, avisynth/mencoder, tsmuxer)
Mencoder since Avisynth did not get installed. Would I have better luck with avisynth? If so, is there a good tutorial on how to set that up under Vista?

My PS3 has been updated to the 2.80 firmware FYI.

Thanks in advance!
NaweG

Re: Some MKVs work. Some Don't. What should I look at?

Postby meskibob » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:22 pm

Post the MediaInfo for one of the files that doesn't play. Also post the debug.log file (needs to be zipped) after trying to play that file.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby NaweG » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:10 am

Attached is a screencap of the MediaInfo output (noted that the version with the installer comes with some adware... not nice...), and a zip of the entire debug.log file. Was going to cut out only the "interesting" part, but then decided you might need some of the rest of it, so am sending the whole thing.

Thanks again!
Attachments
debug.zip
Debug.log file, zipped
(254.36 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
MI of K.png
Picture showing MediaInfo
MI of K.png (68.05 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
NaweG

Postby NaweG » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:08 am

While I wait for an answer on this, is there any chance one of the beta builds would be likely to correct this?
NaweG

Postby bahamot » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:48 am

If I'm not mistaken PMS would only re-muxed the file to the PS3. That's because both of stream (AVC&AAC) are native to PS3. So, perhaps you should try force it to transcode.
bahamot

Postby NaweG » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:01 am

Have tried that (going into the #transcode# folder), and I get the same response. If I go into the transcode folder and select tsmuxer, the file plays back, but then I don't get the subtitles. And my Japanese isn't that good :D
NaweG

Postby zomgheals » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:24 am

if you select subtitle from ps3 menu it should play subs for ya

(press triangle and go from there)

really dont see why your video wont play :|
zomgheals

Postby bahamot » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:56 pm

If you can wait, I'll dl the file and try it for you. Be patient though, my ADSL is only 1mbps .
bahamot

Postby NaweG » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:43 pm

Do you need me to upload the file somewhere, or are you saying you have "access" to it? Since it's more than just this one file, I'd say that any MKV that has a MI similar to the one I posted and has subtitles "should" behave the same... but then I haven't had a chance yet to go through my library to see if I have any ones that work that also look like this.

As for the subtitles suggestion in tsmuxer - will that work with a file that has embedded subtitles (as opposed to a separate ASS file)? Suppose I can try it when I get a chance, but would be interested in knowing if it "should" work first :D
NaweG

Postby meskibob » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:59 pm

NaweG wrote:As for the subtitles suggestion in tsmuxer - will that work with a file that has embedded subtitles (as opposed to a separate ASS file)? Suppose I can try it when I get a chance, but would be interested in knowing if it "should" work first :D
Unless the subtitles are hardcoded into the video track (meaning they can't be turned on/off when playing the file on the PC) you will need to use MEncoder for subtitle support.

Also, about the MediaInfo you posted, it would be better if you posted the full text output (it's under one of the other views). See this post for more details on what it should look like: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2919&p=12213#p12230
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Next

Return to General Help and Support