CAT5 PC to PS3

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

CAT5 PC to PS3

Postby zomgheals » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:36 pm

Okay, first dont want people saying "why do this" etc. etc. If you cannot reply to this, then DON'T

I currently can connect PS3 to PC via normal cat5 connection and just 'bridge' the connection.
Only problem with this is, internet on ps3 is slow, or doesnt even connect at all, PMS is always connected (Internet is only a bonus for me anyways as i dont use it much on ps3).
My router is also dodgy, it drops out alot, so if the PC drops from router, my ps3 cannot find PC either.

Now my Question:

Is it possible to make a 'private' network just for the ps3/pc so when router does drop out it will still play videos fine? (And bonus: How to make it connect to internet using this method (And Stable))

If you cannot answer, then dont :D simple.
zomgheals

Re: CAT5 PC to PS3

Postby otmanix » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:13 pm

Why don't you replace your "dodgy router", connect PC and PS3 to the new one and everything will be fine...?

P.S.
read this, if your're a DIY guy: http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2292&p=11070&hilit=crossover#p11070
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby zomgheals » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:49 am

... i dont want comments like 'replace your router' cant you read. I dont want to have to use a crossover either.

Question was how to make it stable using a normal cat5. Simple as that.
Last edited by zomgheals on Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
zomgheals

Postby otmanix » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:42 am

I dont want to have to use a cat5 either. Question was how to make it stable using a normal cat5

Did you read the link? I don't think so ... or you just don't have a clue of TCP/IP and networking.
I think the defective router is probably the root cause of your problems. You can get a good working second hand router for about 10-20€ and everything will be fine. So this would be the easiest way for less skilled people.
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
otmanix

Postby zomgheals » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:15 am

seeing as you still dont understand i'll have to explain.

Router is not mine
Internet is not mine
I dont have much money being a student so why should i pay for new router.
I dont wanna use crossover as once again, costs money, very very tight on money at the very moment.

If you can answer the question without sending me else where to look that has about 3 different solutions (one of which i did try) then dont answer again.
For such an easy question i still have to type all this useless stuff :|
zomgheals

Postby ExSport » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:37 am

Sorry but cat5 cable is price of 1-2 Euros?Not much ;)
If otmanix gave you hint to change router and you say it is not your, then I suppose it is from provider ===> ask for change, that it is faulty. It's for free ;)
If you will buy the cheapest switch (about 6 Euro?) and put it before your router and connect both PC and PS3 to it, then also when router will fail, your connection will not be disrupted ;)
..............internet..............
.................|...................
..............Router................when router will fail, you only loose internet on PS3 and PC, not connection between each other
.................|....................
..............Switch.................
..............|.....|.................
.............PC....PS3...............

If 8 Euro is too much for you, ehm...... don't ask here, nobody will help you ;)
ExSport

Postby zomgheals » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:41 am

no

its a room mates router

and i dont exactly have money floating about, i dont need cables running all over the house when this standard cat5 cable is actually letting ps3 to pc but only disconnects when my pc disconnects from router,

I just wanna prevent that from happening.

That's all im asking for

im quite aware on how basic networks work, its just i've never ever bridged something but i kind of understand how it works.
zomgheals

Postby ExSport » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:58 am

You don't understand.
If PC is disconnecting due to faulty router and not faulty network card on PC, then only your solution is switch or direct connecting PC and PS3 with your existing CAT5 cable.
Don't speak about needed cables running all over there ;)
For now you need to have 2 cables already. One from PC to router and other one from router to PS3. If you will have cheapest switch (old one for 2euro max), then you need only one more cable ;)
If you understand my picture, you will know that length of this new cable can be 30cm....I know lot of cables over there...it "bridges" router and switch only, so cable can be 10cm also ;)
If it is problem for you invest 2euros and already own PS3 with price of many euros.....don't expect somebody will help you when no advice is good for you...
Your question is something like:
My CAT5 cable is damaged but I don't want invest money for new cable. How can I connect PS3 and PC with CAT5 cable? :mrgreen:
ExSport

Postby bahamot » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:07 am

Ahh, just when I registered just to answer OP's question.... but didn't read carefully that ExSport has answered it. :p

Anyhow, to OP: yes get a switch and a cable and you're good to go. Nowadays 10/100mbps switch is really cheap and short LAN cable won't be expensive either. So it'll be:
Code: Select all
                          ______________>PS3
                         |
...router------------->switch---------->PC
bahamot

Postby otmanix » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:10 pm

@ exsport
Your explanation was easier to understund than mine. I agree to you, that if changing router isn't possible buying a (second hand 10/100 Mbit/s) switch will be best solution. It's cheap and will solve the broken connection problem.

@ zomgheals
I assume that the router is DHCP-Server and DNS-proxy. DNS is only needed for internet traffic and a router breakdown will only affect internet connection.
When this router is down for a long time (longer than DHCP leasetime) you may get communication problems between PC and PS3. If DHCP-lease cannot be renewed the IP address of your PC and PS3 isn't valid anymore.
In that case you can solve the problem by manually setting up IP address, network mask, gateway and DNS on your PC and PS3. You have to avoid duplicate IP adresses. Don't use IPs from the dynamic range of your DHCP. The IPs of PS3 and Pc have to be in the same subnet as your gateway (router).

more infos about DHCP and lease time:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Host_Configuration_Protocol
http://www.tcpipguide.com/free/t_DHCPLeaseLifeCycleOverviewAllocationReallocationRe.htm
otmanix

Next

Return to General Help and Support