MKV av-sync issues ONLY with the new 1.20 rev346

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

MKV av-sync issues ONLY with the new 1.20 rev346

Postby Parker77 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:44 am

Hi there,

Since I use the 1.20. rev 346 (and one beta version earlier) I have strange a/v-sync issues with some mkv files (containing h264 @ 4.1 with Dolby Digital audio, remuxed on the fly with tsmuxer). The mkvs played fine with the last stable 1.10.51 and were perfectly in sync.

The overall setup (and expert options) remained unchanged within the two ps3ms versions that makes the case so weird. Nevertheless I tried the different options and recommendations posted in this forum but the problem stays the same.

In the next step I changed the file versions of the win32-folder in the ps3 media server directory, i.e. I replaced the new versions for the different external programs (e.g. tsmuxer) from the 1.20. with the old ones. But the issue still remains. Consequently and from my perspective, I seems that something had changed in the source code of the ps3ms from version 1.10.51 to 1.20.

Am I thinking in the complete wrong direction? Any ideas? Thanks!

Some technical specs:
AMD Phenom X2 7750 BE, 4GB Memory, Windows Vista Business 64 running PS3 Media Server 1.10.51 and 1.20. rev 346 with a Gigabit Ethernet connection
Parker77

Re: MKV av-sync issues ONLY with the new 1.20 rev346

Postby Parker77 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:59 pm

Okay, I think I can partly answer the question by myself ;)

I know that the video part of the mkv has 24/1001 fps. I assume that the audio part is a 25 fps stream which was corrected to 24/1001 fps in the course of generating the mkv (mkvmerge has an option for that). As far as I know, Ps3ms (or tsmuxer) is not able to maintain that correction when it muxes the file to m2ts. Thus, the file becomes asynchronous. Nevertheless, some questions still remain:

1. How to check the fps of the audio stream? MediaInfo just gives me fps for the video stream. Any suggestions?
2. In my case the audio is lagging, i.e. is "slower" than the video. But I would presume that the video should lag behind since the audio is 25 fps and the video 24/1001 fps.
3. And the million dollar question: Why is this behaviour solely with the 1.20 version of ps3ms?

Greets
Parker77

Return to General Help and Support