Bandwith settings - updated, illustrated

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Bandwith settings - updated, illustrated

Postby thenightfly » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:57 pm

Firsly : I'm a noob for this appz! :)

I've read some bandwitch settings, and I think that is the key for my problem.
I've wired 1000 Mbit switch between my PS & my PC.
My PC 2.6 Ghz QUAD Core, 4Gigz of RAM,and 7950GT, and 1500GB Seagate HDD with 32MB of cache. ( I think that's a quite nice sys.) but my 1080p's movies sometimes cause some buffer ovewflow.
info bar: 190 - 250 MBit/sec

Where, and how can set up this appz to use my 1000Mbit bandw.?

OK, let's see some detailed information:

1. CPU: Intel Q6600 Quad Core @ 2.66 Ghz RAM: 4GB 800 Mhz Kingmax DDRII PS3 Media Server 1.10.51 OS: Windows Vista SP2 x64 ENG
2. Gigabit ethernet connection + CAT 5e cables (endpoint <10 meters from 3Com switch) + 1 WIFI Router (only 1 port active for uplink to 3Com)
3. those .mkv files are slow which has real 1920*1080 pixel resolution, and lots of colours. for exaple: PlanetEarth.EP01.2006.1080p.HDDVD.x264.DUAL-Anonymous.mkv
the bandwith usage goes up to 400 Mbit /sec
4. I'm using this settings:
Image Image
5. small recorded video about the issue:
Code: Select all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ethVWEIhFDk
thenightfly

Re: Bandwith settings - updated, illustrated

Postby otmanix » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:56 pm

You are streaming a transcoded hd-video (MPG2 is shown in the video). In complex scenes the bitrate gets very high. When the PS3 doesn't get enough data from your pc it shows wrong information / bullshit (up to 400Mb/s). The reason for that behaviour is that your network and/or your cpu has reached its limit.
Repeat watching these scenes and have a look a the per core cpu utilization in windows task manager. If no core reaches >=95% everything is fine and you have a network bandwith problem.
For both problems different solutions/workarounds do exist.
P.S.
Is there a specific reason for disabling "switch to tsmuxer..."? You can save cpu power with muxing when possible instead of transcoding everything. You also save network bandwith because MPEG2 compression is worse than h.264.
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Postby thenightfly » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:25 am

I've checked the CPU usage, no ones higher than 50 %.

what should I do next?
thenightfly

Postby otmanix » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:58 am

enable "switch to tsmuxer...", save and restart PMS
You should then see AVC or VC-1 instead of MPEG-2 on your tv which means the video isn't transcoded but muxed. Also the used network bandwith should decrease because of better compression. Have a look at the bitrate on your tv on complex scenes. Has sth changed?
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
otmanix

Postby thenightfly » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:43 pm

No, more than 150 Mbit/sec, and 1 CPU usage:

thenightfly

Postby ExSport » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:03 pm

Please smaller picture, this one is quite big, thanks 8-)
ExSport

Postby otmanix » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:40 pm

If you want assistence write more details or find out yourself...
- I would like to know if muxing is working after changing the settings. What format is shown on your tv (AVC, MPEG2, ...)?
- I can't recognize anything on this shrinked picture. Is one or more cores near 100% load?
- Does the "stuttering / wrong bitrate" problem occur again in complex scenes? If yes what max bitrate is shown in that case?
- If format is still MPEG-2 force usage of tsmuxer (change to virtual folder "transcoded" and choose tsmuxer entry). Does anything change?
otmanix

Postby thenightfly » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:25 pm

OK,
I've installed a brand new Windows 2003 Server OS, and not installed any codec. ONLY PS3 server & Avisynth_258.exe has been installed.

1. if I change anything when MEncoder menu is active, only I can see MPEG2 coding on my info menu. as well if i select -transcode- folder.
2. bigger pics, sorry for my previous post: [img=http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/3748/35580595.th.gif]
as you can see I've only 1 CPU load ~100% but why?
3. yes I can see more than 250 Mbit (450Mbit) on very complex scenes
4. no, nothing changed (sorry, yes, no pic. only black screen)
thenightfly

Postby otmanix » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:55 pm

4. no, nothing changed (sorry, yes, no pic. only black screen)
1. if I change anything when MEncoder menu is active, only I can see MPEG2 coding on my info menu. as well if i select -transcode- folder.

that means muxing doesn't work and video has to be transcoded - eventually that's a problem of your media file (e.g. not supported AVC level 5.1) - you can check this by using mediainfo tool and analyzing your media file

Your problem is definitly CPU-related at the moment (at least one core is near 100%). That may be a bug of multicore support in mencoder... Search forum for that, try another mencoder/PMS-version and/or ask someone else ;)

You can also try to setup Avisynth and CoreAVC (which will reduce CPU load but isn't for free).
ONLY PS3 server & Avisynth_258.exe has been installed.

here's a howto for proper setup of avisynth: http://otmanix.de/english/2009/06/01/java-ps3-media-server-for-dummies-chapter-5-videolan-and-avisynth/
otmanix

Postby rychloun » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:13 pm

Change "mpeg2 video quality settings"

I have only 100mbit connection and documentary movie "home" make up to 250mbit/s, so i changed this option to "keyint=12:vqscale=2:vqmin=3" and now peak is about 90mbit >> ideal for my 100mbit. and the best is that i dont see differents in picture quality..
rychloun

Next

Return to General Help and Support