non-english filenames

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

non-english filenames

Postby bluedha » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:54 pm

I've been using TVersity for a media server and I've decided to give PS3MS a go. I like it a lot!

However, it seems PS3MS does not show video files with non-english filenames (Korean to be specific).
They do not show up at all. Folders with non-english characters seem to show up though.
Which is strange, since audio files with Korean filenames/tags seem to work without any problems.
Also, Korean subtitle has its characters all garbled up.
I tried enabling media library, but it had no affect.
I wonder if this is because PS3MS is java based?
Anybody have a solution to this?
bluedha

Re: non-english filenames

Postby shagrath » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:29 pm

about the subtitles, you need to change the code page in "transcoding settings->mencoder", select cp949 in the drop down box

about the filenames not visible, if you could reproduce it and provide some debug.log file (happens to be in the application directory)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby bluedha » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:48 pm

Thanks for the tip. The subtitle was still garbled with the right codepage until I chose a right font from Specific TTF option.
About the non-english files not showing up, I found out they all had .divx extension (output from AVIAddXsubs).
Changed their extensions to .avi and they all showed up. Strange, since I also had english filename with .divx that shows up.
I have different problem now though :?.

I tested two different sets of files for subtitle and subtitle is out of sync for one of them and video plays too fast (so out of sync with audio) for the other one.
Out of sync subtitle is a .wmv (wmv3 codec) @ 23.976 fps with .smi subtitle. It plays in sync when viewed on a computer.
Out of sync video is a Divx5 with GMC2 @ 29.97 fps (subtitle is in sync with the too fast video however).
I tried playing around with 'A/V sync alt method' and 'Force framerate parsed from FFMpeg' options, but they didn't do anything.

Update: Solved the subtitle sync problem by using AviSynth/Mencoder engine. But Mencoder just crashed for the out of sync video files. Same with AviSynth/FFMpeg.
Last edited by bluedha on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bluedha

Postby shagrath » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:54 pm

bluedha wrote: I found out they all had .divx extension (output from AVIAddXsubs).
Changed their extensions to .avi and they all showed up. Strange, since I also had english filename with .divx that shows up.
I have different problem now though :?.

it's a useful hint, I may have an idea

I tested two different sets of files for subtitle and subtitle is out of sync for one of them and video plays too fast (so out of sync with audio) for the other one.
Out of sync subtitle is a .wmv (wmv3 codec) @ 23.976 fps with .smi subtitle. It plays in sync when viewed on a computer.
Out of sync video is a Divx5 with GMC2 @ 29.97 fps (subtitle is in sync with the too fast video however).
I tried playing around with 'A/V sync alt method' and 'Force framerate parsed from FFMpeg' options, but they didn't do anything.

well, smi is badly supported right now, you should convert them to srt for the time being
about the Divx, try to disable "A/V sync alt" option, and add "-mc 0" to the custom options...
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby bluedha » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:40 am

Finally resolved the problem.
As I mentioned, subtitle sync problem was fixed by using AviSynth/Mencoder engine.
Video playing too fast was due to Packed Bitstream.
After using MPEG4 Modifier to unpack it, it plays fine now!
Now I can finally replace TVersity! :D

One more thing. It seems PS3MS cannot read video cover art file if it has a period in the filename (for example, 'L.A. Confidential').
Didn't matter if I added '.cover' before the extension or not.
Files without period in their filename all showed their cover arts properly.
bluedha

Postby bluedha » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:42 am

Well... I may have spoken too soon.
Had a bunch of trouble after uninstalling TVersity.
PS3 Media Server couldn't see PS3 although PS3 could see PS3MS.
After fooling around with port forwarding on my router and firewall, trying it as windows service, configuring network options, it turns out renaming my ps3 device as 'Playstation 3' on my router worked. :shock:
Then those files that were transcoding properly now were crashing Mencoder immediately.
After hours of investigation, I tracked downed the problem to vsfilter.dll.
Once again, non-english filenames were the problem.
vsfilter.dll can't load subtitles if either the directory or filename has non-english character in it.
Confirmed this by creating a simple .avs file with just directshowsource and vobsub in it.
With non-english filename, can't load file error.
Without vobsub, plays fine.
With english filename, plays fine.
Is there a workaround for this? Guess I'll have to stick to english filenames for now.
bluedha

Return to General Help and Support