Asterisk after Song Tiles

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Asterisk after Song Tiles

Postby Martinb4 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:13 am

Anyone else get these after every song? I can't figure out what it even means. Search turned up nothing...
Martinb4

Re: Asterisk after Song Tiles

Postby meskibob » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:01 pm

It's how the PS3 indicates that a media file is not located on the local drive. Unfortunately you can't get rid of it, and you will see it with all the other media servers as well.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby edrikk » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:46 pm

Wrong!

Straight from the playstation online manual:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... tdlna.html

"File names for data that is stored on servers that are not compliant with DLNA may have an asterisk appended to the file name. In some cases, these files cannot be played on the PS3™ system. Also, even if the files can be played on the PS3™ system, it might not be possible to play the files on other devices."
edrikk

Postby meskibob » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:06 pm

Thanks for the link. Well, I was partly wrong...
Although I will say I have yet to see a file while using TVersity and PMS that didn't have the asterisk, including PS3 compatible MP3's, AVI's, and JPG's :P
Maybe WMP won't have it (they mention it in that same manual as "supported"), although then my point about how you can't get rid of it will still hold for PMS ;)
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Burrito » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:22 pm

meskibob wrote:...I have yet to see a file while using TVersity and PMS that didn't have the asterisk, including PS3 compatible MP3's, AVI's, and JPG's :P

You won't, because the asterisk is there because the PS3 assumes that TVersity and PMS aren't 100% DLNA compliant and not because of attributes of the file itself. Maybe this is even true, i don't know.
Burrito

Postby Martinb4 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:18 am

Thanks for the info guys.

Checked WMP and and those definitely don't have the star by them, must be the PS3 doesn't think PMS is compliant.
Martinb4

Postby edrikk » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:54 pm

I actually hadn't tried WMP as I have converted all my videos to MP4 (which WMP doesn't support yet in its library without running some hacks)...

But yeah... I wish the software that pays for the DLNA specs would at least be fully compliant (ie. Twonky)...

I've never used PS3 Media Server to be honest, although I'm keeping my eye on it... Maybe a WireShark cap of WMP is in order by the Devs to try to emulate it? ....
edrikk

Return to General Help and Support