Help with M2TS files says data corrupted...

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Help with M2TS files says data corrupted...

Postby wm_cheng » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:43 pm

Hi all,

I'm new to backing up my BD but would like to store them on my HDD for streaming via PS3MS just like my DVDs. I've extracted the M2TS files with DD5.1 audio only. I thought the PS3 supports M2TS. It plays back fine on my computer via WMP, but when I access it on my PS3, it says data corrupt. I can watch it if I choose it in the #--transcode--# folder, just not the native file. What format should it be in? It plays 1080p MKV files perfectly, should I convert my M2TS files to MKV files? It would be nice to not loose any quality. What is the best file format to have for PS3MS?

Thanks,
Wm
wm_cheng

Re: Help with M2TS files says data corrupted...

Postby shagrath » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:10 pm

m2ts are mostly well supported on the ps3, I don't know why your particular file will not play.. maybe you can post detailed infos on this video with mediainfo?
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby ecn113 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:32 am

VC1 encoding maybe?
ecn113

Postby ExSport » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:50 pm

ecn113 wrote:VC1 encoding maybe?

I heard that newest 2.76 version supports VC-1 directly from XMB including DTS.....but didn't tested it.
Last edited by ExSport on Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExSport

Postby Smeezy101 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:41 pm

ExSport wrote:
ecn113 wrote:VC1 encoding maybe?

I heard that newes 2.76 version supports VC-1 directly from XMB including DTS.....but didn't tested it.

Do you mean streamed (not transcoded) from a PC to the XMB? Or do you mean copied to the PS3 and played from there?
Smeezy101

Postby ExSport » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:20 pm

When saved on PS3 disk or from external source as usbkey or external disk, don't know exactly...
ExSport

Postby wm_cheng » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:45 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies,

Yes, after a bit of internet searching, yes it was a VC-1 encoded M2TS file. Also, yes it was being streamed from my desktop via PS3MS to my PS3 downstairs, so its not on a USB drive or copied to the PS3 HDD. I believe I have the latest firmware, and it still didn't like the VC-1 encoded M2TS - however if a firmware update changes, then please let me know, it would be great to not have to re-encode a M2TS file just from VC-1 to AVCHD format.

Additionally I found out that the M2TS streaming doesn't like DTS-MA audio, I had to re-mux that to DD AC3 5.1 for the M2TS file to play without transcoding.

So after some tinkering (and too long to wait for the encoding process!) here are my personal settings for good quality BDRips for streaming via PS3MS;

Using RipBot264, I transcode the original M2TS file using;
[Level 4.0] HD.BluRay.Consoles
CQ=18 (18 is nearly lossless and gives equivalent size as original, 20 is a good and I can't see a difference on 100" screen, 22 is acceptable if trying to save space)
Audio Profile Dolby Digital AC3 5.1 (I have my PS3 audio go through HDMI which doesn't stream DTS-MA or DDTHD - even though my amp supports decoding)
AVCHD (then delete the resulting BD file structure and copy and rename the Stream\MT2TS file to the title of the movie)

If PS3 supports streaming of DTS-MA or TrueHD please let me know.
wm_cheng

Postby ecn113 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:19 am

Yeah I have not seen any other way but to use ripbot. As for the audio I have never had luck with streaming any DTS but recently switched mt PS3 audio setting to optical which has more options. I do not think TrueHD is support but it is downconverted AC3. I also have experienced that LPCM can not be streamed. It will actually play but no voices, only background music. Luckily when a disc has LPCM it also has AC3 unlike sometimes when DTS is present that is the only english audio besides commentary.
ecn113

Postby AjzRide » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:12 am

DTSHD can be streamed using PS3MS if you use the LPCM options. This works if your receiver supports LPCM. TrueHD can be converted to FLAC (I use eac3to) and streamed as LPCM as well.
AjzRide

Postby shagrath » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:01 am

DTS tracks can be: (see options in transcoding settings)

1- streamed "as is" (with a clever trick: wrapped into a 2 channels 48khz pcm stream) [only DTS/DTS-HD core]
2 - fully converted to LPCM, but only in 48khz/16bits...so you lose the extra precision [DTS/DTS-HD/DTS-MA/TRUEHD]
shagrath
Project Lead

Next

Return to General Help and Support