Goto Not Working

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Goto Not Working

Postby nod » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:39 pm

PMS 1.10.5
C2Q 9450 @ 2.66GHz
4GB Ram

Ethernet 100Mbit

Firstly all options for PSM have been untouched after installation (except the enhanced multicore support). I am trying to stream the godfather blu ray which consists of an H.264 video and AC3 audio in a .m2ts container.

It didn't seem to work very well without transcoding so I have been using the Mencoder option in the #--transcode--# folder.

Everything seems fine in that it plays, and the transcoding buffer is full. However whenever I try and skip ahead using the goto function it won't work. For example I tried skipping to the 1 hour 15 min mark but the video will only skip ~1 minute or 2.

Any way in which this can be fixed?

I have tried with AviSynth / Mencoder and it works, but the transcoding buffer doesn't fill up ( even if I pause the video and let it fill it to the maximum it will just drain away to nothing when it is played again).

Thanks in advance.
nod

Re: Goto Not Working

Postby shagrath » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:00 pm

the fact that the non transcoded version is not working well is already an indicator... basic H264 stream should work flawlessly, if not, there's a network problem or something like that... have you tried another video ?

about AviSynth, that's normal, because the multicore is not applied here (you need to use a third party h264 decoder, like CoreAVC)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby nod » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:35 pm

Thanks for the reply,

I've uninstalled everything and re-installed PMS. Now the video plays fine without transcoding and goto works. I have also verified this with another video (again a .m2ts with H.264 and AC3) and again the goto function works.

My problem now is that if I play a file that needs transcoding (the example file I am using is again a .m2ts but this time with VC-1 video and DTS audio) the goto function no longer works correctly (it will only skip ahead a couple of minutes no matter how far ahead I set in the goto options).

Again I'm not sure what could be causing this, and it is my only major gripe, so any help would be appreciated.#

Should I try install a codec pack? I'm not sure if this will have any impact in that it won't be used with Mencoder.

Thanks again.

p.s do I win a prize for saying "again" the most times in one post :roll:
nod

Postby shagrath » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:16 am

maybe a faulty mencoder build... try to install the beta (in another directory, so you can keep the official version as well): viewtopic.php?f=2&t=919
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby nod » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:01 pm

Hi again,

I've downloaded and installed version 1.11.345 from the link you provided, but the same problem still occurs.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers.

*edit* - I have even tried it with an earlier version (1.04) but I'm still getting the same issue. Do you think it may have something to do with my machine rather than PMS / Mencoder?
nod

Postby ExSport » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:34 pm

Did you tried to start MEncoder alone from console/command prompt?
Maybe it will display some error...
ExSport

Postby nod » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:04 pm

Not tried that yet...

Will give it a go now.

Cheers.

*edit* ok had a go but couldn't find out how to work it from the command line, what arguments should I be putting etc (never used the command line for Mencoder before).
nod

Postby ExSport » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:11 pm

Sorry I thought that transcoding is not working for you at all. But you can start transcoding but error throwned after GOTO feature?
If yes, test with starting it from command prompt will not help.
ExSport

Postby nod » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:17 pm

Its not so much an error, more like its not doing what it should.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
nod

Postby meskibob » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:39 pm

I guess to just ask the obvious... when you're choosing the time to go to with the Go To feature, you're doing 01:15:00 and not 00:01:15, right?
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Next

Return to General Help and Support