Is it possible to have wired&wireless on PS3?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Is it possible to have wired&wireless on PS3?

Postby Yog-Sothoth » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:00 am

I have now a wireless router, PC with HD stuff is connected to router via cable, PS3 wireless. Is it possible to connect both PC and PS3 via direct cable (second network card on PC) still having wirelles connection to the router on PS3? I know there is possible in PS3MS to choose network card, but as I can see PS3 can have only one card configured at the same time.
Yog-Sothoth

Re: Is it possible to have wired&wireless on PS3?

Postby phdeez » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:49 pm

Just to clarify- you want to use the wired connection on the PS3 to stream stuff via PS3MS, and the wireless connection on the PS3 to connect to the internet, etc?

If the PC is wired, and the PS3 is close enough to connect to the PC, why not connect both to the router via Ethernet? If that isn't an option, maybe you could setup Internet Connection Sharing (if you're using a Windows flavor) on the computer... but the drawback there is you will have to have your computer on whenever you want your PS3 to get to the internet.

I am not in front of my PS3 to try both wireless and wired simultaneously, but I do know that I have my PS3 connected via Ethernet for network access, but I also have the wireless portion enabled so I can use Remote Play on my PSP.
phdeez

Postby Yog-Sothoth » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:19 pm

Exactly, because of very high bandwidth usage with subtitles I'd figured that I will connect HTPC with PS3 (which is standing on HTPC ;) and internet still will be via wifi. Both h/w are very close to router, but this is standard 10/100 LAN so I assume it will be too slow for full HD without compression, so I wanted to connect PS3 since it has Gigabit card, for my PC I bought Gigabit card too.
I hope that when wifi is on wired is on too, now I'm just curious about configuration. With direct link connection HTPC <-> PS3 I must configure IP's and other stuff?
Yog-Sothoth

Postby meskibob » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:57 pm

The PS3 can only have one NIC active at any given time. However, the PS3 can act as a wifi Ad Hoc point independent of which NIC it is using.
As for the router, you'd be surprised what can fit into a 100mbit stream, especially if you have a faster processor in the HTPC. If not, simple gigabit switches are relatively cheap :)
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support