Organizing Drives

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Organizing Drives

Postby ecn113 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:27 am

I have multiple hard drives all with movies. I want to be able to browse all movies as if they were in one drive/folder. I have tried shortcuts but will not work and have been trying linked dynamic drives but am not sure how they function. I also tried mounting the other drives in an empty folder on a "master" drive but they are still separated into folder. Any suggestions?

thanks
ecn113

Re: Organizing Drives

Postby meskibob » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:17 pm

Enable the Media Library in the PMS settings.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby ecn113 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:33 am

I have and it makes it very hard to browse because it takes so long to display the contents of a folder.
ecn113

Postby StaticlyCharged » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:06 am

You could create mount points in windows to link the drives together (although I do not know if PS3 Media Server will recognize the mount point as a browsable folder). See Below.

Code: Select all
Manage Mount Points

To create mount points, you run the Windows Disk Manager utility. To get to the utility, right-click My Computer, select Manage, and then click the Disk Management item. In the right-hand pane, you should see a list of all the physical disk drives on your system and a map of which partitions are on which drives. Note that all your drives are shown here, including CD/DVD drives and any removable storage that is currently plugged into the system through a USB or Firewire connection.

To add or change mount points, right-click the partition that you want to change and select Change Drive Letters And Paths. In most cases you will see a drive letter there already. Next, click Add and enter the full path to the empty folder you want to use. Don't change or remove the drive letter of the boot partition (usually the C: drive), but any of the other drives shown in Disk Manager are usually fair game. You can either leave the drive letter assignment or remove it. If you have already used a drive while it had its original drive letter assignment, there may be programs or other parts of the system that have "remembered" that drive letter. You can always add the drive letter back if you have problems down the road.

Note that the folder you use for a mount point must be completely empty. If the folder isn't empty, the OK button on the Change Drive Letters And Paths dialog box won't be enabled. One cause of this is if you have the Show Common Tasks In Folders enabled. (Click Tools and Folder Options in Explorer.) That can create a hidden file named Desktop.ini in the folder that will prevent the folder from being used as a mount point. You can manually delete the file by clicking Tools, Folder Options, and Advanced and then selecting Show Hidden Files And Folders; only then can you use the folder as a mount point.

http://www.pctoday.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles%2F2005%2Ft0306%2F06t06%2F06t06.asp
StaticlyCharged

Postby ExSport » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:37 am

Mount points are implemented by Windows so it is "supported" by Windows natively and transparent for other apps as classical folder.
In other words, Yes apps on WIN supports mount points ;)
But mount points are not solution for requester.
This is the answer for his question: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1633 ;)
ExSport

Return to General Help and Support