Confusion with setup

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Confusion with setup

Postby void.pointer » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:16 pm

Hi,

I'm currently running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (Build 7201). I've installed the klite codec pack v2.9.0, as well as its x64 version. I am using the latest version of PS3 Media Server as of now.

I pretty much left everything at default settings except for the following:
  • In the "Transcoding Settings" tab under "common transcode settings", I set "Number of audio channels" to 2, since my HDTV only supports stereo.
  • I enabled the "AviSynth/FFmpeg" and "Avisynth/MEncoder" engines, and set them to the following order (from top to bottom): AviSynth/FFmpeg, AviSynth/MEncoder, Mencoder, TsMuxer.
  • I setup a single share directory where my AVI files are located.

I am running 12GB of DDR3 RAM and I have an overclocked Intel Core i7 (3.8GHz). I wanted to setup PS3 Media Server in such a way that it would take advantage of all 8 cores (4 true cores, each is hyperthreaded, so windows sees 8).

My problem so far seems to be when I browse the directories on my PS3. I go through the directories, and instead of getting a list of AVI files to choose from, I see a "#--TRANSCODE--#" directory. I enter that, and each AVI file, instead of being a file, is listed as another directory inside of there. I enter an AVI directory and nothing is in there.

I am unable to play my AVI files for some reason. This happened as well when I had MEncoder set as the top video file engine. How can I fix this?
void.pointer

Re: Confusion with setup

Postby meskibob » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:31 pm

Are you in the right section of the XMB (Photo/Music/Video)?
Also, unless you need enhanced subtitle support or H264 CUDA transcoding, it's recommended to use MEncoder/TSmuxer as the default transcoding/remuxing engines.
And, you should just need to set PMS to use 4 cores and let the processor figure out how to fully task each available thread.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby void.pointer » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:02 pm

meskibob wrote:Are you in the right section of the XMB (Photo/Music/Video)?
Also, unless you need enhanced subtitle support or H264 CUDA transcoding, it's recommended to use MEncoder/TSmuxer as the default transcoding/remuxing engines.
And, you should just need to set PMS to use 4 cores and let the processor figure out how to fully task each available thread.

Sorry but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this stuff, so you'll have to elaborate a bit. What is an XMB? All I can tell you is that I was browsing by directory name. I did not browse through any genre type directories.
void.pointer

Postby meskibob » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:46 pm

I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Help and Support