Toslink Problem

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Toslink Problem

Postby Bob LaBlaw » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:08 am

Hi Everyone,
Hopefully someone out there can help me with a problem I am having with the audio coming out of my pc to my home theater receiver. Here is a little history. I have been using PMS for some time now and I just got a new pc to deal with the problems I had with my old pc. My old pc was ok but was lacking in processing power so I couldn't transcode on the fly, it would work for a second or two then stutter then work again then stutter again ad infinitim. Most, if not all, of my files are 1080p .mkv and most of these have DTS audio and as we all know you have to have a fairly new and robust pc to be able to transcode these files on the fly. Any files that are AC3 work perfectly. I have had some success using GotSent to transcode some files from DTS to AC3 but it is always very time consuming and didn't always work. Hence, I got a new pc. Intel Dp35DP mobo, 8 gigs rams, Intel core2 quad 6600 processor, gigbit controller hard wired from pc to receiver as is the PS3.
Now to the crux of the problem, my old pc had onboard audio with both a coaxial SPDIF and an optical SPDIF (TOSLINK) out to my receiver. The new pc only has an optical - Toslink - out to my receiver but I cannot get it to work. I have tried everything I know to try and get this to work but haven't been able to yet. BTW, this is for ALL pc sounds. Does anybody have any ideas, suggestions? Thanks in advance
Bob LaBlaw

Re: Toslink Problem

Postby phdeez » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:06 am

So, to sum up your post, you bought a new computer and cannot get toslink to work to your HT setup. Nothing to do with your connection between your PS3 and HT?

I'd try your computer (or mobo/sound card/etc) manufacture for updated drivers/walkthrough on enabling the toslink port.
phdeez

Postby Bob LaBlaw » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:31 am

Yes, the problem is with the connection between my pc and my receiver. I have tried all of the drivers, etc. The mobo uses Sigmatel drivers and apparently they are no longer in the audio driver business. Is there some setting possibly that I have to set (or disable?) for the optical toslink to work? BTW I am using XP.
Bob LaBlaw

Postby meskibob » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:42 am

I'm a bit confused about why you're using the PC's sound card... What device are you streaming to?

(PS: How's the Law Blog doing? :D)
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby chrissiecool » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:48 am

control panel/sounds and audio devices/under the volume tab click advanced then click advanced under the speaker tab and make sure "Enable Digital IO" is ticked or it might show "Digital Out Only" depending on your sound card Image
chrissiecool

Return to General Help and Support