Hiccuping Problems

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Hiccuping Problems

Postby Corpsman » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:40 am

1- your computer specs (cpu, memory) and the precise server version you're using

Intel i7 920@3.5Ghz
6GB Crucial XMS3 DDR3 1600
1.5TB Seagate
PMS Version 1.10.51

2- the network connection you are using for streaming your files (wifi, homeplugs, ethernet 100Mbits, or gigabit)

Linksys Wireless G Router with 10MBit FIOS internet service

3- detailed infos on what's not working

Streaming ISO and MKV Bluray movies produces stop/go every 1-2 seconds. This does not occur when I watch movies on my laptop just using network sharing (not PMS)

4- if you're transcoding some videos, which engine are you using ? (mencoder, avisynth/mencoder, tsmuxer)

I don't know what this means. I try using everything that says English DTS and the problem is consistent. When I don't use the TSMUXER?? the problem is worse.

5- a debug.log file excerpt, or you can zip the whole file. this file can be found in the application directory, or if you have UAC and Vista activated, likely found in the Windows temp directory

UAC is disabled, I have Vista Ultimate 64

6- if you are streaming to anything other than a PS3, please mention it

Does it matter what program I am using as the default program to open the movies on the desktop? I have tried WMP, GOMP, CCCP, FFDShow, VLC

As mentioned, Laptops, but not using PMS, just straight network sharing
Corpsman

Re: Hiccuping Problems

Postby phdeez » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:19 am

Do you see the buffer fill up on the status tab? Alternatively, under the "Transcoding Settings"; "Common transcode settings"; "Video Quality Settings" what values are set for: keyint, vqscale and vqmin?

You mentioned:
2- the network connection you are using for streaming your files (wifi, homeplugs, ethernet 100Mbits, or gigabit)

Linksys Wireless G Router with 10MBit FIOS internet service

It's more important on how your PS3 connects to your desktop, not your internet connection. Since you mentioned wireless router, are you using a wireless connection to your PS3? If so, is there an option of moving the PS3 to be connected via ethernet (not wireless) to the same router as your desktop system?
phdeez

Postby Corpsman » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:52 am

Unfortunately this house only has 2 CAT.5 cables. One is where the PS3 is, which is the first floor directly below the master bedroom where the desktop is. I am using that connection to connect my DirecTV for VOD. The other CAT.5 is in the bedroom where it is connected to the wireless router. Both of those CAT.5 outputs go from the house to the Telephone box where the fiber optic connection is. If there is a way, other than paying someone to run new wiring, to connected the PS3 wired... I don't know what it is.

I just went to Best Buy to purchase a new router in hopes that the Linksys router was just not strong enough. Unfortunately the Netgear Wireless N router I bought does not have a strong enough range to stay connected to the PS3. It doesn't matter that the output is to a 73" TV does it?

As far as the buffer goes, it is filling up. I just have to hook my old router back up. The other settings you asked about... keyint=25:vqmax=7:vqmin=2
Corpsman

Postby phdeez » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:14 pm

Well, there's a few things:
1) keyint=25:vqmax=7:vqmin=2 should be adequate settings for wireless, however if the signal is very weak, it might not cut it - have you tried a lower bitrate file? You mentioned ISO and MKV Bluray... can you try a Standard Def. divx file? Basically something non-HD for testing?
2) Wireless N won't really help you since the PS3 is Wireless G. Using an N Access Point won't "increase" your speed/range.
3) Since the buffer is filling up, you know your system is up (& configured) for the task... although I had little concern with an i7 proc.
4) It shouldn't matter what size TV your PS3 is connected to- we're having a problem getting the data TO the PS3...
5) It is good news you have a Cat5 drop near your PS3. You could try connecting a network switch there (can be found for <$10) with 5 ports- one for the Cat5 drop, and the other 4 ports for whatever you have there (PS3, 360, DTV VOD, etc), however this does pose another question... What IP address do you get on your DTV box? Is it a private IP (ie: 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x?) or public IP address? If it is a private IP address that means you most likely have a router of some sort at the phone box.

Here's what I would try- again for testing:
1) Remove the Cat5 connection from your router and connect it directly to your serving PC
2) Remove the Cat5 connection from your DTV box and connect it directly to your PS3
3) Try streaming HD files... If this works, we'll need to determine if there is a router at the telephone box (public vs. private IP should tell you this)
4) If that doesn't work, try a lower bitrate file (over wireless) - as mentioned above, still have stuttering?
phdeez

Postby Corpsman » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:20 pm

While in the same room as the PS3, I ran speed test on my laptop. I got 9.49Mb/s down and 10.98Mb/s up. I did find out though that the IP address on the laptop is not the same as the IP address of the PS3, now that I wired the PS3 directly to the ISP through the Cat.5.

The IP Address on the PS3 is now reading 65.XX.XXXX.XXX. On the laptop it is 64.XX.XXX.XX. So it seems they two Cat.5 inputs are not connected to each other (like I suspected). So I am not sure how I would use a switch to solve this issue. The switch would allow me to have a wired connection to the internet for the PS3 and DIrecTV box, but it doesn't seem it would solve my video streaming issue.

When I went back to wireless on the PS3 the IP changed to 192.XXX.X.XXX.

Running speedguide.net test on the PS3 via the web browser, the PS3 is about 1/3 slower than my laptop, but still posted 6276 kbps.

I tried playing file I have from a video camera shot at SD 740x480. It was choppy as well, but played fine on the laptop.

Here's what I would try- again for testing:
1) Remove the Cat5 connection from your router and connect it directly to your serving PC If I do this, I don't think the PS3 and the PC will be able to connect to each other, OR I just don't know how to do it
2) Remove the Cat5 connection from your DTV box and connect it directly to your PS3 Did this, got a different IP address
3) Try streaming HD files... If this works, we'll need to determine if there is a router at the telephone box (public vs. private IP should tell you this)
4) If that doesn't work, try a lower bitrate file (over wireless) - as mentioned above, still have stuttering?
Corpsman

Postby NaweG » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:43 pm

For your wireless N setup, you might want to look at the Hawking Wireless-300N USB Dish Adapter. It's what I use for myself and for the machines I sell to other folks (I don't just sell the adapter, but NewEgg does). At home, it allows me to get a crystal clear signal across the house even though it has to go through several walls, but it's directional enough I only see one other neighbor's WiFi - so less interference as well.

I know that for me this has made a big difference in how fast I can move files from my main computer upstairs to my other computer downstairs.

Hope this helps...
NaweG

Postby Corpsman » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:48 pm

Well I solved my problem. I took the Wireless N router back and purchased some home networking plugs from Linksys. Video plays to the PS3 with no problems. The only thing is, for some reason, PSM shutdown on me for no apparent reason. So far it has not done it again, but I am going to have to watch that.
Corpsman

Postby phdeez » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:39 pm

Glad to hear you got it fixed up. I figured 10mb down (best case scenario over wireless) would still be choking on HD stuff, sorta surprised it choked on the SD stuff...

Anyways, you can probably fiddle a bit with your keyint=25:vqmax=7:vqmin=2 for better quality video... if it's not currently up to snuff... you now have the network bandwidth to increase your bitrate.

I also find it very odd that each one of your cat5 connections provide a public ip address- I figured there would be a router (or some sort of NAT device) in your phone box... but I guess you learn something new everyday :lol:

Another alternative (especially for people that have FIOS- since Verizon normally uses this technology) is MoCA (Multimedia over Coax Alliance). It creates a mesh network over Coax connections and the bandwidth is great- I've tested and gotten over 90 megs...
phdeez

Postby Corpsman » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:59 am

Where did you come up with the 10mb down number?
Corpsman

Return to General Help and Support