stuttering and disconnection

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

stuttering and disconnection

Postby Titanium » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:48 pm

I got a brand new, dual Core 2.6GHz, 4GB RAM, Vista 32 and 1GBit wired connection.
Media is streamed from an external 1TB LaCie drive via USB2.

PS3 media server v1.10.15

problem: standard definition AVI (mpeg-2) media stutters if I enable external subtitles (MEncoder)

When playback starts, CPU utilization runs at about 75%, there's no stuttering.
CPU utilizationn slowly starts to grow after 3 minutes to about 85%
4 to 5 minutes into the playback, CPU utlization reaches about 90% with spikes of 100% and this is when playback starts to stutter with regular intervals of 1/2 sec playback, 1/2 sec freeze. Stuttering continues indefinitely.
If I stop the playback and wait about 15 seconds before starting playback again, the whole cycle repeats itself. It will take about 4 minutes of smooth playback then stutter will start.
Fast forwarding or jumping to specific point on media's timeline causes immediate stuttering.

This only happens with enabled subtitles. There's not stutter on playback without subs.

I read the forum and found some threads with similar issues; tried reducing bandwidth to 15Mbps, no improvement. I reduced the quality of video, same thing.

What is going on? My computer is definitely fast enough, I got a defragmented hard drive. 1GBit wired network is certainly fast enough to handle standard-def media without transcoding....right?

thanks

Beno
Titanium

Re: stuttering and disconnection

Postby Titanium » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:22 pm

if I play the video without the subs, CPU utilization barely clicks 15% - playback is butter smooth, no stutter at any point. I can fast forward and can use the go-to feature (Square button on PS3's remote). It's all peaches

With subs on - it's hell. CPU starts off at 75%, jumps to 100% 2 or 3 minutes laters and then, it's stutter till you go crazy.

Is it a software glitch? Wrong config settings? Is my computer too slow? (highly doubt that). I tried re-installing the PS3 media serrver, it didn't fix it.

My friend has the same exact problem so i'm pretty certain that my case isn't isolated...

any hints? I'm going crazy here

thanks
Titanium

Postby Titanium » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:18 pm

151 people read this and no one has anything to say....?
Titanium

Postby NaweG » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:36 pm

Have you tried one of the other transcoding solutions? I'm currently using the VideoLan one on my Athlon 64 Dual Core with 2 gigs of RAM and running Vista 64 Ultimate, and haven't seen it get as "busy" as it sounds like you are.

FWIW...
NaweG

Postby Titanium » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:41 am

thanks for replying. No, haven't tried VideoLan. Is it a part of PS3 Media Server? How do I enable/get it? Sorry, not too familiar with this software....
Titanium

Postby NaweG » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:36 pm

On the Transcoding Settings tab, you get several options for what packages to use, and what settings to use for each package. Of course it might help to know if you're going over a wireless connection (and if so what have you set your bandwidth option to), and within whatever you've set as your transcode package, what ticks have you made for the Subtitles?
NaweG

Postby phdeez » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:19 pm

Just out of curiosity, NaweG, does VideoLAN support subtitles via both SRT and those encoded in an mkv file?

Titanium, since you are using MEncoder do you have "Enhanced multicoresupport for H264 HD content" checked? Also, under Common transcode settings do you have the number of cores set to "2." Finally, do you see the same stuttering when streaming from a file not on the USB drive (or could you copy the same file that stutters to an internal drive and try that?) I've read other people had stuttering/freezes when using an external USB drive (don't know about eSATA- I wouldn't think so)...
phdeez

Postby Titanium » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:43 pm

NaweG wrote:On the Transcoding Settings tab, you get several options for what packages to use, and what settings to use for each package. Of course it might help to know if you're going over a wireless connection (and if so what have you set your bandwidth option to), and within whatever you've set as your transcode package, what ticks have you made for the Subtitles?

under Video Files Engines, I got MEncoder and TsMuxer (both have green triangles)
I don't have AviSynth/FFmpeg and I also don't have Avisynth/MEncoder (both have a crossed red circle)

VideoLan Video Streaming - Yellow triangle (This engine is not loaded!)

I got a wired router, 1GBit all the way so this shouldn't be an issue.

General Settings - Transcode buffer maximum size, in megabytes = 600
Number of cores used for transcoding = 2 (i got an intel T9500 dual core 2.6GHz)

Video Quality settings
Maximum bandwidth in Mbits = 0 (I tried different values such as 15 or less, nothing solved the problem)
Mpeg2 Video quality settings (i tried all presents, none helped), currently it is set at : keyint=1:vqscale=1:vqmin=2

Subtitles settings:

Subtitles language priority: eng,fre,jpn,ger
Subtitles codepage: cp1252
ASS/SSA Subtitles: checked
Fontconfig /Embedded: checked
Use ASS default style: unchecked
ASS font settings Font scale: 1
font outline:1
font shadow:1
font sub margin: 10
Autload *.srt/*.sub subtitles with same file name: checked

that's about it
Titanium

Postby Titanium » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:45 pm

phdeez wrote:Just out of curiosity, NaweG, does VideoLAN support subtitles via both SRT and those encoded in an mkv file?

Titanium, since you are using MEncoder do you have "Enhanced multicoresupport for H264 HD content" checked? Also, under Common transcode settings do you have the number of cores set to "2." Finally, do you see the same stuttering when streaming from a file not on the USB drive (or could you copy the same file that stutters to an internal drive and try that?) I've read other people had stuttering/freezes when using an external USB drive (don't know about eSATA- I wouldn't think so)...

i got 'enhanced support' enabled, cores are set to 2.

I will try playing from my laptop's internal hard-drive and let you know. Thanks for help.
Titanium

Postby Titanium » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:22 pm

Titanium wrote:
phdeez wrote:Just out of curiosity, NaweG, does VideoLAN support subtitles via both SRT and those encoded in an mkv file?

i got 'enhanced support' enabled, cores are set to 2.

I will try playing from my laptop's internal hard-drive and let you know. Thanks for help.

Well, i think the culprit was located. It is indeed the external USB drive....
I copied the video file and .srt onto my local drive and tried playing. CPU consumption barely ever clocks over 20%, playback is smooth WITH subtitles.
If I try fast forwarding or even rewinding, it is a lot slower than without subtitles but playback after that is still smooth. That would be impossible with a playback from the external drive.
Go-to function (Red square button on the remote) works too, although it tilts the CPU to 100% consumption but when it finds the assertion point, playback resumes smoothly.
I am happy that it worked but at the same time, sad. I was hoping it was a software glitch so it could be resolved in the upcoming releases...this way however, I'm f****
I got several hundred movies on my external drive, most of them got subs...
One (clumsy) way of working around it is to copy the movie I intend to watch onto my local drive....but doing it everytime will be a pain.
Alternatively, I could get me an external Firewire 800 or even better, eSATA drive....

what do you guys think?

I still don't understand this though: if I play movies from external drive without subs, CPU clocks very low at around 20%. Fast forward, rewind, go-to - works very very fast and painless.
When I enable subs, CPU goes crazy, huffing and puffing like a steam locomotive. Is this really such an intensive computational task? I find that really hard to believe.

In contrast, playing the same movie from the local drive with or without subs barely breaks the CPUs sweat, stutter doesn't happen.

So here's the logical question: what happens to subs as they pass through the USB port? I am still convinced that PS3 media server is party responsible for this behaviour.
Titanium

Next

Return to General Help and Support