Optimum Settings for Wired 720p?

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Optimum Settings for Wired 720p?

Postby nokmond » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:26 pm

Hi all, i've been trying out some settings for streaming 720p mkv files using a wired connection. The problem is I ain't got a clue what i'm doing! :D

What is the difference when i choose (on PS3) the normal mkv file or the mkv in 'transcoded'??

Which is best? What sort of settings should I be using given that its a wired connection?

And finally, if for e.g 'transcoded' is best is there a way of hiding all the other stuff (on PS3)?

Thanks to shagrath for the awesome app and all you who are helping us novices.
nokmond

Re: Optimum Settings for Wired 720p?

Postby Topguy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:05 am

nokmond wrote:
What is the difference when i choose (on PS3) the normal mkv file or the mkv in 'transcoded'??

Which is best? What sort of settings should I be using given that its a wired connection?

And finally, if for e.g 'transcoded' is best is there a way of hiding all the other stuff (on PS3)?

1. None. MKV is not supported by PS3 so it always transcoded. But you usually have a choice between different transcode methods in #transcoded# not only one.
2. Probably the standard settings if they work for you. You have to give more info about PC, TV and maybe Surround Equipment if we are going to give any real suggestions.
3. Its very hard to be sure which method is "the best" for any given file. Many files that look ok for PSM might still have problems when you try to play them, then its very nice to have that #transcode# folder so you can watch the file anyway.
Topguy

Postby ExSport » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:21 am

Topguy wrote:1. None. MKV is not supported by PS3 so it always transcoded. But you usually have a choice between different transcode methods in #transcoded# not only one.

You are wrong ;)
Yes MKV is not supported as container but most mkv files includes compatible audio and video streams(AVC and AC3) so if you use tsMuxer, PMS will only remux(not transcode) these 2 streams to another container(.m2ts) and this one is supported in PS3.
So most .MKV files are better to remux only instead of transcode/re-encode. Re-muxing = no quality loss 8-)
If your file plays natively on PS3 and you don't need subtitles, don't use #transcode# folder. If you need subtitles or file doesn't plays (video or audio), try this folder ;)
This sentence is true when you set tsMuxer at first place(as default one)
ExSport

Postby Topguy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:26 pm

ExSport wrote:
Topguy wrote:1. None. MKV is not supported by PS3 so it always transcoded. But you usually have a choice between different transcode methods in #transcoded# not only one.

You are wrong ;)
Yes MKV is not supported as container but most mkv files includes compatible audio and video streams(AVC and AC3) so if you use tsMuxer, PMS will only remux(not transcode) these 2 streams to another container(.m2ts) and this one is supported in PS3.
So most .MKV files are better to remux only instead of transcode/re-encode. Re-muxing = no quality loss 8-)
If your file plays natively on PS3 and you don't need subtitles, don't use #transcode# folder. If you need subtitles or file doesn't plays (video or audio), try this folder ;)

You are right, I just thought that I shouldnt complicate things too much. I consider tsMuxer a transcoding method in PMS even if I know that its use is mainly trans-muxing.
(re-coding/muxing processes the whole file beforehand, trans-coding/muxing happens "on the fly")
Topguy

Postby videotape » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:01 pm

ExSport wrote:

You are wrong ;)

Oh wow, I didn't know it worked this way. So if I set Tsmuxer first, then Mencoder second, the file in the "regular" folder will try to play in Tsmuxer and the file in the #transcoded# folder will be played in Mencoder?
videotape

Postby nokmond » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:35 pm

Thanks for the replies fellas.

So, if i put tsmuxer top of the list and play the file on ps3, it will be exactly the same as if i was plaing it on pc?

If it doesn't play then i go to the 'transcoded' folder and play from there instead?
nokmond

Postby ExSport » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:20 pm

Exactly.
In case of MKV files:
If tsMuxer is the first one, video is listed outside #transcode# directory. tsMuxer only remux video and audio so it means low CPU load, lower bandwidth, max possible quality(no video recompression). but no subtitle support.
If this video will not play or you need subtiltes, then go to #transcode# folder where MEncoder is used(or others depending on your priority options/enable or disable status of them) and choose one from listed. There you will find all possible combination of audios and subtitles. But in this case, video is re-encoded, so that it means higher CPU load/requirements, up to 10x-15x greater bandwidth but 99% compatibility that file will be played on PS3.
In case of AVI,m2ts,mpeg etc., these containers are always streamed without any change to audio/video track. So if it will not play for you, the #transcode# folder is for you, same way as with MKV files.
CONCLUSION: If you don't need subtitles and want max possible quality, try file listed outside TRANSCODE folder. If audio/video/subtitles will not play or data corrupted, use TRANSCODE folder.
Hope it helped ;)
ExSport

Postby nokmond » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:44 pm

ExSport wrote:Exactly.
In case of MKV files:
If tsMuxer is the first one, video is listed outside #transcode# directory. tsMuxer only remux video and audio so it means low CPU load, lower bandwidth, max possible quality(no video recompression). but no subtitle support.
If this video will not play or you need subtiltes, then go to #transcode# folder where MEncoder is used(or others depending on your priority options/enable or disable status of them) and choose one from listed. There you will find all possible combination of audios and subtitles. But in this case, video is re-encoded, so that it means higher CPU load/requirements, up to 10x-15x greater bandwidth but 99% compatibility that file will be played on PS3.
In case of AVI,m2ts,mpeg etc., these containers are always streamed without any change to audio/video track. So if it will not play for you, the #transcode# folder is for you, same way as with MKV files.
CONCLUSION: If you don't need subtitles and want max possible quality, try file listed outside TRANSCODE folder. If audio/video/subtitles will not play or data corrupted, use TRANSCODE folder.
Hope it helped ;)

Yes, very much. Thanks!
nokmond

Return to General Help and Support