Mencoder Service hogging CPU usage

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Mencoder Service hogging CPU usage

Postby mrbubba » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:20 pm

I kept getting prompted to update the PS3 Media Server so I eventually did. Really wishing I hadn't now, as it insists on starting the Mencoder service in task manager, even when I'm not using it. Is there anyway to stop this? I don't do any transcoding using PSM, I only use it to copy files to my PS3 HDD and I then play them from there.

Everytime I end the process, it starts back up seconds later and sits with 99% of CPU usage and slows my computer down incredibly ! If I can't stop this, can I roll back to the previous version and then turn off the updating?

Thanks
Neil
mrbubba

Re: Mencoder Service hogging CPU usage

Postby shagrath » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:30 pm

mencoder shouldn't launch if you do not transcode anything... I guess you must select a file you think ps3's compatible
if you have a good process manager (process explorer for instance) you can see which file is being transcoded on the mencoder process "command line"
shagrath
Project Lead

Re: Mencoder Service hogging CPU usage

Postby mrbubba » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:52 pm

shagrath wrote:mencoder shouldn't launch if you do not transcode anything... I guess you must select a file you think ps3's compatible
if you have a good process manager (process explorer for instance) you can see which file is being transcoded on the mencoder process "command line"

I haven't asked it to play any files yet. I installed the software, it launched and found my PS3 as it was already on. I then continued to use the PC, but noticed it was taking ages to respond and when checking task manager, mencoder was there using all my CPU.

I have restarted PSM and it hasn't loaded mencoder in the task manager again. I'll see how it goes for now and let you know the results.
mrbubba

Return to General Help and Support