Problem After Java Updated to Java 6 Update 14

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Problem After Java Updated to Java 6 Update 14

Postby tezzatheman » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:59 pm

Hi Guys,

Just wondered if anyone else has had this issue with the Windows version of PS3MS?

Last night my Java updated itself from Java 6 Update 13 to Java 6 Update 14. And today I couldn't get the PS3 Media Server (1.10.51) to appear in the XMB. I of course didn't actually join these two events up to start with, but instead though there was a problem with my router. So I went straight to Wireshark and did some packet captures. I could see some SSDP broadcasts going out (I assume thats the DLNA announce traffic) and I was getting replies from my PS3 to the multicast address, and connections from the PS3 straight to my PC running PS3MS. But nothing after that. And still no PS3MS showing up in the XMB. Checking through the debug log didn't show anything strange as I was still getting entries from the PS3's ip address (showing the network didnt seem to be the problem). I tried rebooting everything, reinstalling PS3MS, updating PS3MS to v1.11.339, even flashing the latest firmware onto the router, and nothing worked.

But when scanning through Add/Remove programs I discovered that Java 6 Update 13 AND Java 6 Update 14 were both installed. Now I know that Sun Java can cope with having many versions installed, but I didn't know if that was confusing PS3MS. I uninstalled Java 6 Update 14, restarted the PS3MS 1.11.339 build, and bang - PS3MS appeared in the XMB. I then did some more investigation in the debug.log, and found something that I didn't see while I was having problems:

[New I/O server worker #1-1] DEBUG 23:33:17.937 Opened handler on socket null
[New I/O server worker #1-1] DEBUG 23:33:17.937 Received on socket: Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:34:18 GMT
[New I/O server worker #1-1] DEBUG 23:33:17.937 Received on socket: Host: 192.168.1.10:5001
[New I/O server worker #1-1] DEBUG 23:33:17.937 Received on socket: User-Agent: UPnP/1.0
[New I/O server worker #1-1] DEBUG 23:33:17.937 Received on socket: X-AV-Client-Info: av=5.0; cn="Sony Computer Entertainment Inc."; mn="PLAYSTATION 3"; mv="1.0";
[New I/O server worker #1-1] INFO 23:33:17.953 HTTP: description/fetch / 0-0

It looks to my untrained eye that one of three things could be happening here:

1) when multiple Sun Java JRE's of any version are installed PS3MS breaks when the 'New I/O Server Worker' code is supposed to run.
2) when multiple Sun Java 6 JRE's are installed PS3MS breaks when the 'New I/O Server Worker' code is supposed to run.
3) the Sun Java 6 Update 14 JRE is not compatible with PS3MS and the 'New I/O Server Worker' code fails to run.

I will need to do some more testing tomorrow morning to see if I can pin it down. I'm going to remove Java 6 Update 13 and add Java 6 Update 14 and see if that works. If it does then PS3MS may be getting confused when it sees more than one Java JRE. If it can't then PS3MS may have issues using Java 6 Update 14. At any rate I'll have some more logs that may be helpful for the Devs in the future.

Cheers

Terry MacDonald
tezzatheman

Re: Problem After Java Updated to Java 6 Update 14

Postby tezzatheman » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:06 pm

Well now - that was strange.

I decided to try manually reloading Java 6 Update 14 over the top of Java 6 Update 13. To my surprise, even without a reboot, PS3MS worked fine. It came up straight away, and everything I've tested has played fine. The only conclusion I can come to is that somehow my Java didn't auto-update correctly when it downloaded the Java 6 Update 14 yesterday, and that todays manual reload did work. The only other difference that I did this time was installing PS3MS as a windows service after the Java 6 Update 14 was applied (rather installing the service before java autoupdated last night). Not sure if that could have affected it in any way?

Anyhow its all going fine now.

Cheers

Terry
tezzatheman

Return to General Help and Support